Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Developing Quilt Patterns - Advice Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/developing-quilt-patterns-advice-please-t213068.html)

gramajo 02-05-2013 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Shelbie (Post 5841538)
I like to see finished measurements of components. If the larger quilt is made up of smaller units, I like to know those measurements before I proceed to the next step. Then if I'm off, I can adjust or redo before getting to the end and finding out that parts don't fit.

I so agree. It's aggravating to get to the point of sewing blocks together and having them off. It would be nice to know unfinished size of each block so I can make any corrections along the way--not when I'm ready to piece them together.

ghostrider 02-05-2013 10:12 PM

Get ahold of Nancy Restuccia's book for everything you need to know about publishing patterns.
http://www.amazon.com/Publish-Patter.../dp/0971450137

quiltstringz 02-06-2013 08:47 AM

One of the things that I really like is the option of getting the pattern via email in a PDF or download. Saves me on shipping - sometimes I won't buy if I only want 1 pattern and the price will about double because of S&H. Also if I want I can start right away - not in 5 to 7 days!

gabeway 02-06-2013 08:52 AM

Diagrams and photos like others say plus chart of materials needed for different size quilts.

Canada Kate 02-06-2013 10:39 AM

Professional quality photos - especially for the cover, as this is what is going to make me buy the pattern. I'd like to see a photo of the whole quilt, not one artfully draped on a chair or fence. I'd also be interested in seeing different colourways, or pictures of the quilt done with different fabrics. Maybe you can use some of your "tester" quilts as alternate photos?

grammy Dwynn 02-06-2013 11:38 AM

I always like patterns/books that offers multiple sizes (crib, lap, twin, queen & king (not all but most)). I don't like to spend $8 - $12 and then find out it is one size only.

Also like to see pressing directions. Knowing the 'right' direction makes such a big difference on the piecing going well and the quilt laying smoothly. :)

grammy Dwynn 02-06-2013 11:43 AM

I always like patterns that offers multiple sizes (crib, lap, twin, queen & king (not all but most)). I don't like to spend $8 - $12 and then find out it is one size only.

Also like to see pressing directions. Knowing the 'right' direction makes such a big difference on the piecing going well and the quilt laying smoothly. :)

Quercus Rubra 02-06-2013 01:23 PM

I agree with what I've read so far.

For me a pattern should be workable in different sizes, have really good pictures along with a nice simple and CLEAR directions. I also find that proofreading can be as important as the accurate cutting directions.

I look for a picture that shows the whole view... pretty draped quilts seem to be more about being at part of a really nice picture, but the quilt itself gets lost into the background.

I look for a clean and precise picture that shows me the whole quilt, as it allows me to be a better judge of rather or not I'm able to decide if I can make it without a whole lot frustration that would cause me to abandon the project all together.

I look for a Complete list of supplies that I might need including special rulers.

For Fabrics, I prefer a listing such as Fabric A ... "x" amount of yardage. Fabric B ... "x" amount of fabric or Fabric 1, Fabric 2 etc. The reasons being I mught not be doing mine in the same colorway or fabric line that you did. I might have to buy for that specific quilt as it's to be a gift or even shopping for mine stash that threats to explode out of every possible creavise in the house (okay not in mine exactly... it's too small LOL)

Also somewhere on the front it would be nice to know what level do you consider the pattern to be for. Reason being that while you may have been quilting on your grandma's knees ...... I am more or less a self learning newbie quilt of maybe 4 years and half of that is on cheater's cloth or simple random squares for tops that are only fit for the Humane Society Kennels. I might consider myself of "confident beginner" in some areas but a "Novice" in other areas. And if it's a new techqinue or ruler -- "complete newbie" in that arena.

I would actually have different "levels" test your pattern to truely see exactly what levels are able to complete the design and really consider the feedback you would receive from them. Speaking of which ... I'm willing to be a Tester for you if the need should arise. I have done a several of them and have given really detailed feedbacks to the makers, whom have found them quite useful.

I also like seeing finished photos at each step. Sometimes I might not understand the Writtern directions but if I have a good set of "see photo A " I can puzzle it out, making sure that My piece looks like that photo thus allowing to fix any error I have made at that juntion .... not later at the end when I can't get something to line up properly. By then it's too late and most likely to end up in the trash.

Well I'm not sure if this was what you was looking for but I hope it's helpful to you at any rate.

Sincerely,
Tricia

patchsamkim 02-06-2013 03:41 PM

I like step by step instructions with photographs, or diagrams. A must is to be sure your pattern is WELL tested. A big turn off for me for a designer is for there to be errors in the instructions. Test, and test again, and proof-read carefully.

kaelynangelfoot 02-06-2013 06:09 PM

Thank-you to everyone who has commented! I really do appreciate the advice. I will be looking for testers eventually (thank-you Querus for volunteering, I will definitely take you up on it once I get the pattern put together.) I work full time so it will take me a few more weeks to get a decent rough draft together. My goal is to have rough draft by the end of this month.