Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did it again!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-again-t185912.html)

jcrow 04-13-2012 08:25 AM

Did it again!!!

Yesterday I was cutting out lots of strips and couldn't find my mesh glove any where. I had just totally cleaned my room and figured I had stuck it some place I would never find it again. Well, I accidentally put my rotary cutter ON the ruler and started to cut and it went directly to my thumb and cut it so deep. It took about 2 seconds and then started bleeding all over everthing. I ran to the bathroom and got a washrag and put pressure on it and found two big bandaids and using one hand, I was able to put the bandaids on my thumb. It was a very deep cut and I can't bend my thumb as the cut is right next to my knuckle. After all this, I went to the computer room and told my husband the story and he held up my mesh glove and said "is this what you were looking for?" I couldn't believe it! I don't remember taking it in there, but sometimes I go from my sewing room into my computer room and back again and I must have taken it off in there. Now I can't sew for a while. Those gloves are priceless!!!! {I should have gone to the ER and gotten stitches, but I know they numb your wound by putting shots directly into your cut, ughhh!!!}

Raggiemom 04-13-2012 08:46 AM

Ouch, I hope your thumb heals quickly!

Nanaquilts44 04-13-2012 09:04 AM

Oh I'm so sorry this happened to you. I hope you have a speedy recovery without much pain.

BellaBoo 04-13-2012 09:24 AM

So sorry. I got cut once and once was enough to change my it won't happen to me mindset. My ER bill was 10x more then then any of the safety tools I could have bought, even with insurance. Please everyone do not use a rotary cutter without a safety guard or tool. There are many to choose from and you need more then one. A iron placed on the ruler will work fine if you don't have one of the safety tools. If you have to use a potholder to take a hot pan out of the oven then there is no excuse that you don't need safety tools when rotary cutting.

Writergrrl 04-13-2012 10:19 AM

Hope you feel better, Jeanne. This is a good reminder to the rest of us to be careful. Thanks for sharing.

Lori S 04-13-2012 10:28 AM

Oh My ... I have to ask have you ever thought about those machines that cut using a Dye cutter? In thins case you and the rotary cutter just don't seem to get along.
I do hope you heel fast . I think you need to consider a teather for your glove... just a joke.!

donnalynett 04-13-2012 10:55 AM

I looked for my quilting gloves all day last week........found them in the garbage can. Now why did I do that?

bearisgray 04-13-2012 11:41 AM

Ouch. Hope you heal quickly.

Tartan 04-13-2012 12:11 PM

Sorry you cut yourself, OUCH! Always get stitches when the cut is where you will bend or move the flesh. It takes a looooong time to heal otherwise.

susie-susie-susie 04-13-2012 02:57 PM

I agree with Tartan. You probably need to get stitches. Is your tetanus up to date? Don't be afraid, the shot only hurts for a second, then it's numb. Without stitches, it is going to take a long time to heal, and will hurt the whole time. I feel your pain, and hope your heal quickly.
Sue