Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did anyone else read this in McCall's mag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-anyone-else-read-mccalls-mag-t58862.html)

LindaR 08-11-2010 05:35 AM

the question was: can I enter a quilt I made from a McCalls mag or other mag in quilt show?

Answer: a quilt show is a public display and therefore only the designer can enter the quilt However you can ask permission. the magazine owns or shares the copyright and should be approached for permission.

I can't believe this, talk about quilt police...our guild has a local quilt show and wouldn't be displaying anything if this was the correct procedure....unbelieveable

ghostrider 08-11-2010 06:01 AM

People are going to believe what they want to believe and there's just no changing minds on this issue. McCall's is not making things up, it's part of the copyright law, and I guarantee you the magazine's attorneys approved the article prior to publication. If your guild wants to comply with the law, as many other shows already do, they may want to re-examine their policies. Like any law, whether or not you follow it is entirely up to you. However, not following it does not change the law one little bit.

Theresa 08-11-2010 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by LindaR
the question was: can I enter a quilt I made from a McCalls mag or other mag in quilt show?

Answer: a quilt show is a public display and therefore only the designer can enter the quilt However you can ask permission. the magazine owns or shares the copyright and should be approached for permission.

I can't believe this, talk about quilt police...our guild has a local quilt show and wouldn't be displaying anything if this was the correct procedure....unbelieveable

I suspect the designers welcome the viewing of their creations. Perhaps it is a simple thing just to request it.

DJ 08-11-2010 06:07 AM

I have a very hard time believing this would hold up in court. I think the designers should be acknowledged when the quilts are displayed, but as far as getting "permission". I think that is ludicrus.

hobo2000 08-11-2010 06:15 AM

Believe me it does hold up in court. This is called "Intellectual Property" One of these cases was recently written up in , I think, Quilters Newsletter. Some designers will not give you permission for other then your own use that doesn't include shows or selling of the quilt. Thats only if its copyrighted.

montanablu 08-11-2010 06:25 AM

copyright issues --- here we go again!

kathy 08-11-2010 06:26 AM

I thought the reason they put patterns in the magazine was so we could all make our own versions, and I had no idea we couldn't display them.

stefanib123 08-11-2010 06:32 AM

There was a big "to-do" over the Cricut machines a while back about stuff like this. They had a so-called "angel policy" that was total bull. This site explains it all:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/...t/Cricut.shtml

It tells a lot about copyrights and the laws concerning them. Very interesting.

Annaquilts 08-11-2010 06:37 AM

yup I did and am really rethinking my renewed prescription. More of a reason to design your own or use blocks that have been around.

Originally Posted by LindaR

Charleen DiSante 08-11-2010 06:40 AM

Oops, here's a neat typo: prescription instead of subscription and I agree, I do prescribe quilting as a great therapy :) Oh, and you don't need my permission to print this reply ;o)