Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Gingher stop making scissors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-gingher-stop-making-scissors-t238723.html)

Barbie 01-14-2014 07:08 AM

I did not know Ginger had sold out to Fiskar. Fiskar has always been the scissors that I purchased to cut paper or what I considered cheap "throw away" scissors. After checking my Gingers, I wonder if I fall in the category of being a collector. I have so many. Some of mine are at least 30 years old and were made in Germany, Italy and most in Brazil. I use to send them back to Ginger to be sharpened but the last time I got them back, I was not pleased. Now I know why.

hoppa 01-14-2014 07:14 AM

Didn't know they were sold to Fiskars but you can buy Ginghers online from Wawak sewing supply as that is where I buy mine.

sewbizgirl 01-14-2014 07:15 AM

Yes I DO hate it when that happens! No one takes pride in producing anything good these days! It's all about profit and planned obsolescence. Singer isn't Singer anymore,etc. Not many of the well known brands are what they used to be. After all the years of building a name and reputation, the company sells out and leaves you flat. I will cherish my pairs of Gingers, my all-time favorites.

tessagin 01-14-2014 07:21 AM

I was just at Michael's the other day and there were quite a few pair.

tessagin 01-14-2014 07:24 AM

Often the companies sell out because of the next generation not having an interest in working to keep the company running.

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 6512002)
Yes I DO hate it when that happens! No one takes pride in producing anything good these days! It's all about profit and planned obsolescence. Singer isn't Singer anymore,etc. Not many of the well known brands are what they used to be. After all the years of building a name and reputation, the company sells out and leaves you flat. I will cherish my pairs of Gingers, my all-time favorites.

FroggyinTexas 01-14-2014 08:06 AM

I have just spoken with a representative from Gingher. Fiskar did buy the company out some time ago.
Gingher was a privately held company. The rep told me that there are two weights of Gingher scissors now. The all metal ones are forged in Italy. Whatever the others are made of are made in Taiwan. The country of origin (not the words distributed by) is marked on the scissor. If you have a question about your Ginghers, you can contact the company by calling the 800 number listed on the Website. Gingher warranties are still in full force. You can find out about them on the Website or by phone. The Gingher Website and the phone contact are among the easiest to navigate that I have dealt with. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by bigredharley (Post 6509838)
My daughter bought me lovely "designer series" ones for Christmas, I was looking to buy some for my sister and nobody seems to have them. I'm seeing them for un-real prices on ebay and Amazon (like $100 for 4" ones.

Anyone have another idea where to find them? Joann's is no.

Stitch124 01-14-2014 08:25 AM

I have three pairs of Ginghers...one pair I bought about 20 yrs ago 8" dressmakers. Just had them sharpened by Forveson Corp. in Greenville, SC. Only charged $8.00! Work like brand new. Also have a pair if heavier gold handle shears... Very sturdy and sharp. Also have a pair of pinking shears and a couple pairs of little Ginghers with leather sheaths. One is a stork pair. All are very sharp with no issues. I would not get them sharpened anywhere but from Forveson. I also have Fiskars but since I have so many pairs, I can send one out at a time and not miss it. Can't beat $8.00 to sharpen back to brand new. Ginghers are wonderful scissors in my opinion.

caspharm 01-14-2014 08:39 AM

Interesting! I have several pairs of Ginghers. The two smaller pairs are made in Germany, but my 8" dressmaker scissors (left-handed) have a sheath that says Germany, but the scissors are stamped "Brazil." My Gingher applique scissors are stamped "Italy."

I do have some Kai's and the squeeze Havels.

cherrio 01-14-2014 08:53 AM

well BIGREDHARLEY, where do you live? Our JoAnn's does still carry them. there are several JoAnn's in my area and the fabric quality and selection are vastly different from store to store. So, maybe it's the BUYER at the store you need to question. that can be done online too! good luck

Originally Posted by bigredharley (Post 6509838)
My daughter bought me lovely "designer series" ones for Christmas, I was looking to buy some for my sister and nobody seems to have them. I'm seeing them for un-real prices on ebay and Amazon (like $100 for 4" ones.

Anyone have another idea where to find them? Joann's is no.

Ladibug 01-14-2014 11:29 AM

Has anyone ever heard of or used Garrett Wade Shears? I came across their site online and was wondering. The most expensive pair is the right handed ones for $235, the 9inch shears are $140. It is a bit expensive for me. I know that a good pair of shears is priceless to own. I am like so many others, I have my Mom's old Wiss Pinkers. I have a good pair of Ginghers dressmaker shears. I was just wondering cause I have never heard of the Garrett Wade brand.