Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did I make a huge mistake??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-make-huge-mistake-t271762.html)

newjeepgreen 11-02-2015 10:48 AM

I bought the Bernina 830 record a while ago and it is one of the most reliable little machines. A real work horse uses any thread and purrs like a kitten. I use it nearly every day and wouldn't part with it for anything. I have Pfaff and Bernina, Janome and Embroidery machine and love them all but this wee one is super.

HouseDragon 11-02-2015 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Sandra-P (Post 7363916)
I don't trust all the reviews anymore since finding out that some Amazon reviews were faked. I have two Bernina's one for each place we live and they are both 550's. Absolutely love them, they have been the best, and I do have a nice Pfaff as well but use the Bernina as I find it does everything I want.

For that very reason, I discount the highest and lowest reviews on Amazon especially if there are only a few. When there are scores or hundred of reviews and the majority are the same rating, I've found you can trust the "majority rules".

The Pfaff lover would probably give a bad review to any non-Pfaff machine.

cashs_mom 11-02-2015 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 7363225)
Never base a decision on a single review. I read a negative review by someone who didn't like a machine because it didn't fit in the cabinet. Enjoy your machine.

Especially by a fan of another brand of sewing machine. I"ve had 2 Berninas and loved both of them. Sew on it for a while and decide.

stitch678 11-02-2015 02:35 PM

I've beenreading up on the 830. It has a 12" throat...way bigger than my Janome 6500 ( which l love) which has 9.5". Also the 830 has a stich regulator. These 2 features alone will make it an outstanding choice for quilting. It can embroider too! l have one for sewing & one for embroidery. And lastly, my old Bernina 1050 ,which l purchased new in 1987 and used every day in my drapery shop,is still being used daily at that shop , even though l retired 6 yr. ago, that's 28 yr. of use 6 days/week!

CanoePam 11-02-2015 03:37 PM

The early "new" 830s were very troublesome. The recent ones aren't as prone to problems. It still is a very complicated machine that has to be treated kindly. Make sure you take mastery classes, and don't be afraid of,it.

Pam

purplefiend 11-02-2015 07:52 PM

My first good modern sewing machine was a 1992 Bernina 1031, lovely machine that doesn't ask if I needed to sew that today. :cool: I still sew with it and it does wonderfully for all types of sewing including FMQ.
I have also done FMQ with my friend's 830, another wonderful machine for FMQ.
I have a new Pfaff with all the bells and whistles, but the Bernina 1031 is still a favorite machine to sew with.
Sharon in Texas

KarenR 11-02-2015 10:30 PM

If it is the older 830 they are a great machine. I love my mom's machine. It stills sews amazing.
I do not know why they have the old 830 and a newer model 830.

qwkslver 11-03-2015 04:17 AM

Never worry about things you can't change. I bet that is one wonderful machine. What one person hates another loves, why worry? Enjoy!

celwood 11-03-2015 04:31 AM

I think you will love it. I have been looking at this machine and have done research and it is a great machine. The first machine that I ever bought was a Bernina and I have always regretted trading it in

nancyw 11-03-2015 05:21 AM

I bought a Bernina 820 when they first came out. I don't think they had worked out all the kinks in the machine. After it had gone up to Chicago twice I was fed up with it. Luckily my dealer traded me even steven for a 550.