Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did I quilt enough? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-quilt-enough-t208436.html)

skowron5 12-14-2012 12:23 PM

Cute quilt. I would echo quilt around the cups a few times.

Zyngawf 12-14-2012 12:24 PM

I went back to the store and at the other battings from the shelf I took mine from because I had thrown the package away. Being a newbie I didn't learn battings were all different until I had finished putting the binding on this one and then looked for other people that shared my interests on line. Yes, Iv' learned this all backwards the hard way. The other packages on that shelf said quilt 2 to 4 inches. I'm still in the practicing stage of stippling and not very confident about it. Someone else had the idea of doing some straight line stitching in the gaps. If I did this about 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch inside the blocks on all sides how would that do?

Zyngawf 12-14-2012 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5720133)
the quilt is darling. if your batting instructions say more is needed, you can do additional echo quilting around the center design.

Is echo quilting what I already did when I outlined it?

skowron5 12-14-2012 12:33 PM

Yes just go around each applique a few more times. You might have to do something in the corners then.

AFQSinc 12-14-2012 12:41 PM

I would continue the echo quilting around the cups a few more times. It will stabilize yhe batting more and help the cups ”pop” a bit. Really cute quilt.

Zyngawf 12-14-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan (Post 5720094)
I only see the SID or echo quilting around the mugs. if you FMQ around them in each block, yes that should be enough. or you could do straight lines about one or two inches apart on either side of the block seams going each direction on the quilt.

Both vertically and horizontally that would make another square inside each block, but around the applique? That would work?

Sorry about all the questions guys. I really don't want this one to fall apart, but I'm afraid I'll ruin it it I try stippling.

soccertxi 12-14-2012 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think your open areas are a bit wide open. That being said, if they are less that 4 inches, you should be covered. Any thing MORE than 4 inches needs more quilting. I just doodled a bit (and luckily for my customers, I'm a MUCH better quilter than artist!)..how about something over the intersection of the blocks? The circles and arcs would be a bit harder. but a Diamond is straight and you could use a walking foot.

Zyngawf 12-14-2012 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi (Post 5720282)
I think your open areas are a bit wide open. That being said, if they are less that 4 inches, you should be covered. Any thing MORE than 4 inches needs more quilting. I just doodled a bit (and luckily for my customers, I'm a MUCH better quilter than artist!)..how about something over the intersection of the blocks? The circles and arcs would be a bit harder. but a Diamond is straight and you could use a walking foot.

The corners is mainly where you circled and those all have stitch in the ditch. All the seams do. Do I still need more there? I'm thinking of doing additional straight stitch quilting and inch from all seams on all sides. What do you think?

tesspug 12-14-2012 02:42 PM

If you're not sure you could do the echo quilting or stippling, you could use 2" blue painters tape and run it along side your seams, on each side. Then follow along side the tape to make straight horizontal and vertical lines. It would create a sort of frame around each cup.

Pat625 12-14-2012 02:47 PM

Love your quilt!! Can't see the actual quilting in the picture (old lady) but if you are witin the guidelines for the Batting you used, you should be fine!