Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   did i waste it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-i-waste-t298185.html)

tmw 07-11-2018 08:06 AM

did i waste it?

i just cut about 11/2 yards of fabric into stripes and it was all uneven , now I don't know what to do? if I re-cut it , it will too short,, any ideas please, thank-you.

bearisgray 07-11-2018 08:18 AM

What width strips were you trying for?

What is the narrowest width of the strips you cut?

If it's only "a little bit" too narrow, one can compensate a little bit by using a narrower seam allowance.

Perhaps I make more work for myself, but I do not cut a zillion layers at one time. Why? Because if I botch something, it's only one or two layers instead of eight to ten.

Maybe show use the fabric you were using?

ArtsyOne 07-11-2018 08:25 AM

Post a picture - then we can figure out a possible solution. Are the strips for a specific pattern? Could you choose a different pattern if you have to cut the strips down?

NoraB 07-11-2018 08:26 AM

Maybe re-cut it to the shortest width you accidentally cut. Then, adjust the pattern accordingly (if it calls for all 3 1/2" strips, then cut all the others the "new" width depending on what you ended up with.....if it's 3 1/4", then cut them all to 3 1/4". I'm not sure what you used, but I really rely on the June Tailor Shape Cut and the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro. It's hard for me to keep consistent with the width of long strips if I don't use them. Good luck.....you might just have to get creative by adding borders to the quilt to make it bigger once you are done. But, fabric isn't wasted....you will figure out a way.

PaperPrincess 07-11-2018 08:55 AM

Is it uneven, or do you have a "V" at the fold. If the strips are actually different widths, one of the suggestions above should work. If there's a "V", then cut it on the fold. If you need a long strip, square both ends and join, otherwise sub cut per the pattern instructions.

Tartan 07-11-2018 09:05 AM

If you have a V where the fold was, there isn't much you can do except cut the strips narrower. If that isn't an option, cut at the V (even ends) and add a contrast square to join the pieces and think of it as a design addition.
When cutting fabric, it helps to lay a square along the fold and then put your ruler against the square to cut strips.

tmw 07-11-2018 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by tmw (Post 8092114)
i just cut about 11/2 yards of fabric into stripes and it was all uneven , now I don't know what to do? if I re-cut it , it will too short,, any ideas please, thank-you.

I was cutting too many layers at one time, I was cutting 5 inch strips to end up with 5 inch squares . maybe I can still get a few of them, out of the mess I made, and use the other pieces for something else. thank-you all.

sewbizgirl 07-11-2018 12:11 PM

I don't know what you were trying to make with your strips, but why not just sew them wonky style? Or cut them shorter and make string blocks out of them.

bearisgray 07-11-2018 01:25 PM

I have taken a "finished size" template and drawn around it on a piece that was just a little bit too small - and then when I placed it against another piece, I would "compensate" - one seam allowance would be narrower than the other.

If my fabric is not fraying or raveling very much, I will go as narrow as an 1/8 inch seam - but sometimes I will use Fray Check or put another row of stitching in the seam allowance for added security.

If the fabric is "flimsy" - I would not do that. Why risk it pulling out and make a bigger mess?

Jeanne S 07-11-2018 01:58 PM

If you can’t recut for your current project, save them and use them in a strip/string quilt. It doesn’t make any difference if the strips are wonky or different widths in a string quilt.