Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: did i waste it?

tmw

did i waste it?

i just cut about 11/2 yards of fabric into stripes and it was all uneven , now I don't know what to do? if I re-cut it , it will too short,, any ideas please, thank-you.
    Thelma

Power Poster
    What width strips were you trying for?

What is the narrowest width of the strips you cut?

If it's only "a little bit" too narrow, one can compensate a little bit by using a narrower seam allowance.

Perhaps I make more work for myself, but I do not cut a zillion layers at one time. Why? Because if I botch something, it's only one or two layers instead of eight to ten.

Maybe show use the fabric you were using?

Post a picture - then we can figure out a possible solution. Are the strips for a specific pattern? Could you choose a different pattern if you have to cut the strips down?
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Maybe re-cut it to the shortest width you accidentally cut. Then, adjust the pattern accordingly (if it calls for all 3 1/2" strips, then cut all the others the "new" width depending on what you ended up with.....if it's 3 1/4", then cut them all to 3 1/4". I'm not sure what you used, but I really rely on the June Tailor Shape Cut and the June Tailor Shape Cut Pro. It's hard for me to keep consistent with the width of long strips if I don't use them. Good luck.....you might just have to get creative by adding borders to the quilt to make it bigger once you are done. But, fabric isn't wasted....you will figure out a way.

Blog Entries
    Is it uneven, or do you have a "V" at the fold. If the strips are actually different widths, one of the suggestions above should work. If there's a "V", then cut it on the fold. If you need a long strip, square both ends and join, otherwise sub cut per the pattern instructions.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    If you have a V where the fold was, there isn't much you can do except cut the strips narrower. If that isn't an option, cut at the V (even ends) and add a contrast square to join the pieces and think of it as a design addition.
    When cutting fabric, it helps to lay a square along the fold and then put your ruler against the square to cut strips.

tmw
    Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    i just cut about 11/2 yards of fabric into stripes and it was all uneven , now I don't know what to do? if I re-cut it , it will too short,, any ideas please, thank-you.
    I was cutting too many layers at one time, I was cutting 5 inch strips to end up with 5 inch squares . maybe I can still get a few of them, out of the mess I made, and use the other pieces for something else. thank-you all.
    Thelma

I don't know what you were trying to make with your strips, but why not just sew them wonky style? Or cut them shorter and make string blocks out of them.
    http://www.craftsy.com/user/333534/pattern-store?
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Power Poster
    I have taken a "finished size" template and drawn around it on a piece that was just a little bit too small - and then when I placed it against another piece, I would "compensate" - one seam allowance would be narrower than the other.

If my fabric is not fraying or raveling very much, I will go as narrow as an 1/8 inch seam - but sometimes I will use Fray Check or put another row of stitching in the seam allowance for added security.

If the fabric is "flimsy" - I would not do that. Why risk it pulling out and make a bigger mess?

If you can’t recut for your current project, save them and use them in a strip/string quilt. It doesn’t make any difference if the strips are wonky or different widths in a string quilt.
    I just want to spend the rest of my life laughing.

Cut them into shortest length and make piano key borders for scrappy quilts. Widths need to be even for each strip, otherwise use all different widths.

When cutting anything I just take the time to not cut more than two - four thickness. Usually just two. Saves time in the long run.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmw View Post
    I was cutting too many layers at one time, I was cutting 5 inch strips to end up with 5 inch squares . maybe I can still get a few of them, out of the mess I made, and use the other pieces for something else. thank-you all.
    I'm a little confused. If you were cutting 5" strips, you'd only end up with 4 1/2 finished squares. Is that what you needed?
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

tmw
    i'm using all 5 inch pieces sewn into a row, one plain piece next to a flowered piece, the next row will start off with a flowered piece then a plain one, does that make sense to anybody,?
    Thelma

Cut all of them the size of the narrowest one. Don't worry about what size they finish if all squares is your pattern. Add a border or two if you need it larger or have a smaller quilt. This is why my Go has paid for itself over the years. I miss cut a lot.
    deliberately under-educated

Blog Entries
    TMW, are you making a stamp quilt? Was it one and a half yards of fabric? I have a few yards of fabric that I've messed up like this. I can't give you any tips to fix it, but I understand your problem on cutting.

A checkerboard? If so, just cut all the 5" strips to 4.5 and make the quilt.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    Is it uneven, or do you have a "V" at the fold. If the strips are actually different widths, one of the suggestions above should work. If there's a "V", then cut it on the fold. If you need a long strip, square both ends and join, otherwise sub cut per the pattern instructions.
    *and remember to starch and press (not iron) since you will now have slightly off grain pieces. Be careful not to pull on them too much
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.