Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: waste containers

Hi I am new to the site and to quilting. I am looking to make a small container that can be hung from the side of the table to put scraps and thread in. Can anyone help me with that?
    Thsnk you.

Blog Entries
    Hi and welcom from MA.

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome. I love the coffee filter idea.

I think a long time ago someone had a post about this, I don't have time to search right now and if a miracle occurs I will search for you. I think it was called a thread catcher. Welcome to the board.

Blog Entries
    Send me a pm. I have one of those things and it only gets in my way. I use the Eleanor Burns method of tossing scraps behind me in the general direction of the trash bin.

Blog Entries
    Funniest but most useful thing I've seen is a friend of mine had her central vacuum hose taped up close to her machine. She just flung the thread and scraps to the hose and it was gone in a flash. :D :D :D :D :D :D

The coffee filter idea is great! We have a ton - but no coffee maker anymore and I always have thread sitting on the table getting pushed around.

A brown paper bag tapped to the table top (as long as it doesn't remove your table finish) is perfect. Fill it up, throw it away.

Blog Entries
    A brown paper bag tapped to the table top (as long as it doesn't remove your table finish) is perfect. Fill it up, throw it away.
    That's what I use too. But I might try the coffee filters since I have a bunch of them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Send me a pm. I have one of those things and it only gets in my way. I use the Eleanor Burns method of tossing scraps behind me in the general direction of the trash bin.
    :lol: :lol:
    That's what I do!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Me too!!! I have a trash can about 2 feet from my sewing machine, and if I make it in, great......if not, I have a very handy broom that I use at the end of the day. Works!!

Blog Entries
    Have you noticed the advertising that is at the bottom of each page when we post? The one that I just saw on this post was for dumpster rental!! I would hope that nobody has THAT many scraps while sewing!!

I use a small shopping bag like you get at Yankee Candle or from a 'fine' department store when you buy something small at the cosmetic counter. They have flat bottoms so they stand on the floor by themselves and they make me feel 'elegant'- cause I usually don't shop at those kind of places very often.

Renee

Hi and welcome! I've done everything from Elanor burns method to paper bags, or plastic bags, taped on the table, to toss-in-in-the-general-direction, to coffee cans on the table. I think it's probably what works for you. I usually clean up after a project is finished, but sometimes it has to be sooner...too much mess otherwise!
    Diana

Thank you for the great welcome and all the ideas for thread collectors. I do like the idea of the coffee filters and I am going to try one or two of the web sites. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    i use a large lunch sack, fold the top down about an inch on all four sides
    then tape it either on the left or the right side of where you sit at your machine. when done sewing for the day just empty it or throw it out. i just empty it and put it back on for the next time.

You mean you are supposed to put them IN something? Heck, mine goes on the floor. Much, MUCH easier. Then the vacuum works great at picking them up. No bending over! :)

Blog Entries
    had a real problem with throwing scraps and threads on floor. all that mess wrapped around the wheels of my chair and ruined the chair now it wont roll across the floor anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by richbrote
    had a real problem with throwing scraps and threads on floor. all that mess wrapped around the wheels of my chair and ruined the chair now it wont roll across the floor anymore.
    I clean the wheels on the chair once a month. Yes, threads and such get under there. But, it's just as bad as having the chair on carpet. Same things happens, especially when you have cats that shed. Their fur will go under there too!

I keep a small wastebasket under my sewing table, I pull it to line up with the edge of my sewing table. Then I all I do is just brush the threads off the table and they fall into the wastebasket.
    Kind Regards,
    MaryAnna

[size=18][color=darkred]Hi and Welcome from western Montana. Around here we whip up a small/ med/ or large "pillow case" made from scrap poly.. then we fill it with our fab/ thread scraps. When it's about 2/3 full, we sew it closed and donate it to the Humane Society for pet beds. They love 'em and we feel good about recycling. We started this a couple months ago and have donated about 75 beds so far. It's a great idea for retreats, too. sue :) :lol:

A great idea! Beats me throwing them in the floor.

When I was teaching second grade, I made little trash containers for each group of students to use during art projects. Using old gallon milk or juice jugs, I cut off the top and left the handle on with a big L-shaped cut. This leaves the bottom half intact to collect the trash and the handle makes it handy to grab when you need to sweep off the table top or empty at the end of the day.

I have been using several of these containers for sewing for about five years, and find them very handy to keep threads and snips of fabric off the floor. I keep a breath mints tin or old sewing machine needle case in the bottom for needle discards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast