Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
portable project storage containers >

portable project storage containers

portable project storage containers

Old 07-05-2011, 07:45 AM

I cannot believe there are NO "portable" "quilting" project storage containers on this planet. There are smaller one plastic satchels, but they only hold smaller projects. With all the quilting that goes on in this world how come no one has invented a carry along "single compartment" project tote with some depth? I am just baffled by this. Do any of you know of some? Here is one but it has stationary compartments and I want it without compartments( http://www.aceartsupplies.com/Super_...rce=googlebase )
Peggy
Old 07-05-2011, 07:47 AM

I use large, un-used pizza boxes, and 2 1/2 gallon zip-loc bags to carry projects. The boxes are not good for long term storage, but to carry projects to class or retreat they work well.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:49 AM
KR

Look in the scrapbooking department at Joann's, Michael's, etc. They have 12"-13" square plastic boxes, some with handles, that are only a couple of inches deep....perfect for 12" blocks.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 AM

The one you posted a pic of looks nice if you can take out the compartment dividers. I use a similar one to your pic only half the width and it works great for me.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:50 AM

are you looking for hand piecing or larger quilting projects?

For my GFG and mini hexies I use pencil holders from Staples that are only $1 each. They hold about 300 1" hexagons, a spool of thread, and a few pieces of felt with needles and a pair of cheap scissors.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 AM

I buy one just like this,same depth, but it is marketed as the spool holder....except the spool holders can come out. I think it works very well. I buy mine at Joanns, when they have 50% off, or I use a coupon. The ones I use are made by the same company...ARtBin

Try looking at Joanns.com and look for them there.

I also buy the single depth ones, and have a great old shelf that holds alot of them. Those hold manyy of my projects!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by peggy463
I cannot believe there are NO "portable" "quilting" project storage containers on this planet. There are smaller one plastic satchels, but they only hold smaller projects. With all the quilting that goes on in this world how come no one has invented a carry along "single compartment" project tote with some depth? I am just baffled by this. Do any of you know of some? Here is one but it has stationary compartments and I want it without compartments( http://www.aceartsupplies.com/Super_...rce=googlebase )
Peggy
Look around the scrapbook & plastic storage areas of Joann's, Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart, Target, or Kmart. I've found plenty at these places. You can also check out your favorite office store (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, etc.) for more ideas. I've found nearly all of my storage at these stores. You do know that if there's an all purpose storage unit that works, it would cost more money to buy the same one if it were designated "quilting storage"?
Old 07-05-2011, 07:58 AM

oh yea - fishing tackle boxes work great. :) I've got a few projects in them too.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:15 AM

Double deep Super Satchels in colors, If that doesn't work for some reason just go to www.keepsakequilting.com and put super satchel in the search.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM

Joann Fabric now carries the deeper containers like you want without the dividers. They sell out fast, especially when they have the 50% off coupon.