Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
waste containers >

waste containers

waste containers

Old 11-26-2009, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by richbrote
had a real problem with throwing scraps and threads on floor. all that mess wrapped around the wheels of my chair and ruined the chair now it wont roll across the floor anymore.
I clean the wheels on the chair once a month. Yes, threads and such get under there. But, it's just as bad as having the chair on carpet. Same things happens, especially when you have cats that shed. Their fur will go under there too!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:17 AM

I keep a small wastebasket under my sewing table, I pull it to line up with the edge of my sewing table. Then I all I do is just brush the threads off the table and they fall into the wastebasket.
Kind Regards,
MaryAnna
Old 11-26-2009, 08:21 AM

[size=18][color=darkred]Hi and Welcome from western Montana. Around here we whip up a small/ med/ or large "pillow case" made from scrap poly.. then we fill it with our fab/ thread scraps. When it's about 2/3 full, we sew it closed and donate it to the Humane Society for pet beds. They love 'em and we feel good about recycling. We started this a couple months ago and have donated about 75 beds so far. It's a great idea for retreats, too. sue :) :lol:
Old 11-26-2009, 08:24 AM

A great idea! Beats me throwing them in the floor.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:30 AM

When I was teaching second grade, I made little trash containers for each group of students to use during art projects. Using old gallon milk or juice jugs, I cut off the top and left the handle on with a big L-shaped cut. This leaves the bottom half intact to collect the trash and the handle makes it handy to grab when you need to sweep off the table top or empty at the end of the day.

I have been using several of these containers for sewing for about five years, and find them very handy to keep threads and snips of fabric off the floor. I keep a breath mints tin or old sewing machine needle case in the bottom for needle discards.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Hi I have a tutorial I found online and downloaded. It was by Sew Mama Sew. I think it was on her blog. Phyl in MA
Old 11-26-2009, 09:28 AM

I use tissue boxes to discard thread and small scraps. They work extremely well and I have one by every machine. I particularly like the small square ones that have flexible plastic flaps. If the box happens to turn over or fall in the floor, nothing is lost. When empty, just toss it and get another.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:34 AM

My quilt mentor brought me an emply tissue box (one of the small tall ones) as part of my essential start up supplies. It works great!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:56 AM

I like Loretta's idea of the coffee filter, but I would add to that I compost my fabric clippings and thread snips (and coffee filters with grounds, actually). They are 100% cotton and the worms seem to love them. I enjoy the compost each spring and like to think of how each thing eventually goes back to the Earth!
Old 11-26-2009, 10:35 AM

Thank you for submitting the link to the pattern, look forward to making this one!