Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did not buy the book............. here's why (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-not-buy-book-heres-why-t60743.html)

sueisallaboutquilts 08-22-2010 07:23 AM

I was going to get a Jelly Roll book with my coupon but the more I looked through them the more I realized the patterns were not that thrilling to me. I have received WAY MORE inspiration from all of you on this board!
So thanks for saving me some $$$$ The last thing I need is another book I won't use :D
I did get one on Amazon that was worth the 5.00 I paid. I'm really getting tired of books. Maybe I've just bought too many over the years.
Have a great Sunday, everyone!!

amma 08-22-2010 07:25 AM

Between the internet and EQ, I hardly ever need to buy a book :D:D:D

scrappycats 08-22-2010 07:30 AM

I quit buying books and patterns as I have so many projects in my head waiting on me to do. When I get through with them, I am sure there will be gorgeous quilt patterns out there just waiting for me to find. But, in the meantime, I will spend my money on other things.

cjomomma 08-22-2010 07:34 AM

Susan I'm with you I find more inspiration here then in any book.

Julie in NM 08-22-2010 07:41 AM

I find inspiration and color "helps" looking at quilt catalogs. So many ideas and so little time. Wish I didn't have to work.

pojo 08-22-2010 07:44 AM

I like the free ones on the internet It has to be a very special pattern if I would ever buy a book.

quilter68 08-22-2010 08:19 AM

Good Morning Everyone,

I too find more quilt info on this site then I will ever use. I quilt everyday. But I like to look at antique quilts. In that vein I have been collecting "State Documentation" books. I have twenty some books. Not every state has had a "Documentation Day". It is published in newspapers and set-up in a local church or historical place for a day or a week. Everyone can bring family quilts with photos or letters for documentation. The quilts are terrific. How the women were so artistic and really good quilters is amazing!

At a thrift shop my daughter found a box of quilt magazine from the '80's and sent them to me as a present. She is so thoughtful and my only daughter. The rest are boys. Cars all the time.

I also read this site every day.
Quilter68 (who is now 69)

katsewnsew 08-22-2010 08:40 AM

I too have way too many books. I have been finishing off some of my ufo's that are several years old and amazed at what I already have. No need to buy books, rather buy fabric!

sueisallaboutquilts 08-22-2010 09:05 AM

Hey everyone, glad it's not just me. I started quilting before the internet and now just don't find the need or desire for all the books.I love quilt history books though and reference etc. Those are quite different. The prices are so high on books even with coupons and I'd rather have fabric filling up my space anyway :D

BellaBoo 08-22-2010 09:17 AM

I only buy a book if it has a new cutting and piecing method that I want to try. I don't buy quilt patterns anymore. I have EQ7 and can draft any pattern I want. Hundreds if not thousands of quilt/sewing blogs have instructions and tutorials galore. I don't subscribe to any quilt magazines. You Tube is my visual quilt magazine. Missouri Star Quilt Company and Connecting Threads gets about all my quilt budget.