Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-walmart-contract-jo-anns-t193801.html)

Snooks 07-07-2012 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by CircleSquare (Post 5343717)
A friend told me that our local Walmart has contracted with Jo Ann's to run the fabric dept. Anyone know anything about this?
Ann

It could be. Some times not ALL stores in a chain are able to run a department (due to staff, best value, etc). Also some BIG stores are trying different things for areas that have not done well for them in the past (not ALL the Walmarts lost the fabric dept, so maybe in the ones that Walmart felt they lost money before they could be leasing them out). I'm sure Walmart will try anything to see how it works in an area. I live in any area that Walmart had to FIGHT!!!! to get into, so over by my house the ONLY put in a SMALL store (food only), to try and get people to love them (I still want a BIG Walmart). I feel that a lot of stores are trying a lot of different things to make more money as well as make more people happy.

Nona 07-07-2012 05:42 AM

I solved the problem of no cutters at the fabric departemt along time ago. I pick up the phone and keep punching buttons until someone answers and then I let them find me a cutter. I have found the stores that have the best fabric selections usually have a dept manager and I quickly find their name and have them paged directly.

alwayslearning 07-07-2012 05:48 AM

I bet this rumor got started by someone who was doing some wishful thinking! I cannot imagine why Jo Anns would do this.

Kath12 07-07-2012 06:00 AM

It could be possible. I worked for WM for 11 years before I retired. They may contract that department out to save them money by not having the liabiltiy,responsibilty, and the manpower to run the department. They do that for the book nook, the subway,etc (remember the Radio Grill?), the Hair Salon, etc.? So it wouldn't surprise me that they are trying it out in different stores

Jratcliff 07-07-2012 06:13 AM

My M-I-L owned a fabric store for many years and would complain long and loud about the chain stores and their prices as compared to the quality. Evidently, JoAnn's has A, B, & C stores with comparible fabric quality. Most were C stores, but I have noticed them bringing in some higher quality fabrics. And they are charging prices that seem to be either comparable or a bit higher than the local quilt shops.
All the stores have buyers that go to the markets. Of course, the larger chain stores can purchase in giant lots for a much greater discount so the fabrics at JoAnn's and Walmart are bound to come from the same companies.
The other thought is, as some one else mentioned, they may be leasing space to a fabric vendor much like JoAnn's leases to a sewing machine vendor.
A new super Walmart just opened not far from me, but they don't have a fabric department - bummer. Just a handful of yarns, but great groceries!

SunlitenSmiles 07-07-2012 06:15 AM

The city were I live does not have a Wallmart or a JoAnns......the closest of each is either 15 minutes or two hours away, depending on the traffic on the freeway ..but...they are right next to each other, LOL.

only at 2a.m. when it is a 15 minute drive.....the stores are not open :(

The Joanns has a sewing machine section that is not run by them and you even pay at a seperate register

The Wallmart has a McDonalds and an eyeglass center and a photography section that are inside the store but have seperate register and not the same type of reciept.

hoppa 07-07-2012 06:18 AM

Have not heard that

twinkie 07-07-2012 06:24 AM

I was in Bentonville, Ak (WalMart home office) last year when they announced the return of the fabric dept. to many stores. Nothing was said about anyone taking over the fabric except WalMart. I do not think WalMart subs out anything anymore. I would say it is just a false rumor.

jeanredner 07-07-2012 07:22 AM

Would you beleive I still have fabric that I bought from Zayres when they were going out of business?

GrannieAnnie 07-07-2012 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5345221)
Perhaps what everyone should do when there is no cutter is to cut, write the price and quantity on a slip of paper and take it to the register. That will get someone's attention. Evil thoughts this morning.

I may take the bolt and the scanner thingy, too!