Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did Walmart contract with Jo Ann's? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-walmart-contract-jo-anns-t193801.html)

GrannieAnnie 07-07-2012 07:40 AM

our Walmart had a hair salon, a bank, a cell phone place--can't even tell you what brand, and an arcade that is not Wal-Mart's.

barny 07-07-2012 07:42 AM

Oh boy, I remember every big store had fabric depts. so fun. Now, it's a job to find anything you want. Also tools etc. Now it's all stuck into a totally wrapped package with 3 or 4 more pieces. Oh well, a sign of the times.

OHSue 07-07-2012 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by 117becca (Post 5343770)
While I don't know the specific answer to that - it is done. Years ago, I worked for a store similar to Walmart cld Zayres....they had a fabric dept and it was leased by another company. Those of us who worked back there were still employees of Zayres, not the company that had leased the dept.

I remember Zayres! My first job.

marla 07-07-2012 07:45 AM

Walmart probably just orders fabrics from the same companies as Hancock and JoAnns.
I do know that Hancock Fabrics and JoAnn are the same owners.

marla 07-07-2012 07:49 AM

Most Walmarts do have these services just like Meijer's and other superstores. Although they are under the same roof they are separate from the store. You can't shop there and include it in the bill from Walmart merchandise.
But ask one of the gals at Walmart that question.

Digitizingqueen 07-07-2012 08:04 AM

Hancock and Joann are not owned by the same people and Joann does not run the fabric dept at Walmart I work at Joann's and none of these statements above are true they are just rumors

pojo 07-07-2012 08:15 AM

I don't think so ours is ran by the regular workers from Walmart
I can't see walmart giving any money too any one else but in their own pockets.

twinkie 07-07-2012 10:15 AM

Most of the small "outlet" business that were in WalMart are being fazed out. The Jewelry department is now owned by WalMart and it was a sub. Our bank has been taken out and they are not replacing it.

Originally Posted by marla (Post 5345850)
Most Walmarts do have these services just like Meijer's and other superstores. Although they are under the same roof they are separate from the store. You can't shop there and include it in the bill from Walmart merchandise.
But ask one of the gals at Walmart that question.

pattipat 07-07-2012 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Holice (Post 5345221)
Perhaps what everyone should do when there is no cutter is to cut, write the price and quantity on a slip of paper and take it to the register. That will get someone's attention. Evil thoughts this morning.

It sure will. & they will not be very happy. Ask me how I know. :D:D:D

clsurz 07-07-2012 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by beadywoman (Post 5345132)
Yup, I'll probably cut my own fabric too. It is incredibly frustrating - when you finally find some fabric that is of a quality that you can work with, and have to stand there ringing that danged bell over and over and over and still nobody comes to the fabric department!

What bell? They got rid of the one here at ours years ago and they only show up if they feel like it.

Walmart is NO LONGER #1 in this country for type business it is and have been losing revenue for a few years now and they wonder why? Wouldn't surprise me any if there were no more Walmarts in the next five years. At the rate they are going it may happen sooner than that.