Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you get the CRAFTY gene in your family? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-get-crafty-gene-your-family-t102712.html)

pab58 02-26-2011 11:49 AM

Well, actually my sister is the crafty one. By that I mean that she scrapbooks, makes greeting cards, can crochet a little bit, etc. She LOVES just about any craft there is out there!! I'm the one who sews, but I also do some crocheting. I don't consider sewing a "craft" or "crafty" -- at least by my definition. :wink:

jaciqltznok 02-26-2011 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by pab58
Well, actually my sister is the crafty one. By that I mean that she scrapbooks, makes greeting cards, can crochet a little bit, etc. She LOVES just about any craft there is out there!! I'm the one who sews, but I also do some crocheting. I don't consider sewing a "craft" or "crafty" -- at least by my definition. :wink:

sewing is a craft...I know many who have talents else where, but can not sew anything!

sassey 02-26-2011 11:57 AM

My maternial grandmother sewed and crocheted. None of her kids did any sewing or crafting. None of my sibblings do any sewing or crafting. My sister always says why would you want to do that when you can just go buy it already made.

I have one daughter that does crochet occasionally. Other than that I am the only one

pab58 02-26-2011 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by pab58

sewing is a craft...I know many who have talents else where, but can not sew anything!

I didn't mean it the way it sounded I guess. :oops: I take the word "crafts" to mean working with scissors, glue, beads, yarn, silk flowers, and those types of supplies. In my mind I put sewing in a different category. I don't value what I term crafts any less than sewing, but I just define them differently. I certainly didn't mean to offend anyone so if I did, please forgive me. :oops: Give me some beads, and I can't do a doggone thing with them, but give me fabric and I'm off!! :thumbup: :lol: :oops: Wish I could make the many beautiful things that so many others can, but I just don't have the talent. :wink:

tlpa 02-26-2011 04:43 PM

When I read your question I thought right off the bat, yes, I'm the only one in the family with the crafty gene. Then after reading some of the replys had to alter that thought. My mom introduced me to crochet, knitting, sewing....but she did it as a necessity, not for fun. She knitted mittens, hats and scarves to keep us warm, sewed and altered our clothing to keep the 5 of us kids from growing out of them...re-purposed things to keep from buying new. These are the crafts that now bring me joy. I am thrilled to have introduced my mother to cross-stitching....something she enjoyed and created many beautiful pieces before her eyesight gave out.

grammy17 02-26-2011 05:06 PM

I have one half sister who can quilt. she is in a lull now. One daughter who is real crafty--can do anything. One who likes outdoors and making fires from flint--she brings all her sewing to me. Another who can sew but doesn't. One daughter who sews and her daughter sews. My grandmother embroidered every day--sat with her friend who crocheted edgings on pillowcases. Think I caught it from watching them. I sew, quilt, knit, crochet. Knitted socks last year. Like to keep busy. "The devil finds work for idle hands."

sewingsuz 02-26-2011 05:44 PM

just me!

madamekelly 02-26-2011 07:41 PM

I have a sister that made all of her clothes in High school, then quit sewing. I do most crafts, or have done them. Bro # 1 -give him a hammer, nail and a board, and he will build you an aircraft carrier! Bro # 2- Check out www.airsoft.com and you will see his 'crafty' items, Bro # #- can draw anything. Sis #2 is a type A workaholic. Sister # 3 is a mom who works part time. A crafty gene? I would say so. My mother had a 'human barbie' that she made clothes for, for years. Yep, we are a creative bunch.

Dee 02-26-2011 09:04 PM

Sewing and quilting and many crafts are from my mom and grandma. I don't have anyone to share quilting with. My DH is always there to encourage me on.

PattyS 02-27-2011 12:41 PM

I think the crafting gene isn't quite as important with my kids even though my son decided one day to pull out his chainsaw and see if he could carve a bear. He did and since then has carved quite a few critters with the his most recent a 19' dragon with a huge wingspan.