Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did You Know (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-know-t257872.html)

love to sew 12-07-2014 07:31 PM

no those are the requirements. I am a LA'r for QOV. I do not send them because I take them to the LQS that has contact with the local QOV rep. She picks them up from the LQS. So at least I don't pay postage just the batting. Sometimes the LQS will donate the batting. The QOV rep makes the presentations here in Arizona so no postage for that either.

Gay 12-07-2014 07:48 PM

Having never been involved in QOV, my thought is - if a longarmer provides wadding, quilting & backing? then posts back to the maker, is there any guarantee the quilt even goes where it is meant to? This could be a good scam for whoever makes lots of QsOV, or even the distributors - a bit like goods going to op-shops, and the staff pick it over first. I would insist on the maker supplying everything, quilting and postage should be enough donation, considering there would be several each month. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

sewbizgirl 12-07-2014 09:57 PM

I donate locally.

Juliebelle 12-08-2014 03:52 AM

I too, found the requirements for them to be more restrictive then I wanted to deal with. I now donate to project Linus through my local quilt shop.

quilttiger 12-08-2014 04:05 AM

Please do check the national website for Quilts of Valor, www.qovf.org. One way to save on postage is to locate your state's coordinator(s) and contact her as to how quilts can be delivered free. Some quilt stores may accept QOVs and deliver them to the coordinator. My state now has more than one coordinator. The nearest one happens to have a monthly sewing circle in a church near my daughter's home, so I visit my daughter that day and deliver my own QOVs directly to the coordinator (one very awesome person!). I also deliver QOVs and quilt tops for my fellow guild members.

Another way is to give a QOV directly to a veteran and report the donation to the website so that it can be included in the official count, which is now well over 100,000!

You can find this information and more by looking at the left side of the main screen and clicking on the appropriate field.

Hope this helps.

Geri B 12-08-2014 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gay (Post 6999275)
Having never been involved in QOV, my thought is - if a longarmer provides wadding, quilting & backing? then posts back to the maker, is there any guarantee the quilt even goes where it is meant to? This could be a good scam for whoever makes lots of QsOV, or even the distributors - a bit like goods going to op-shops, and the staff pick it over first. I would insist on the maker supplying everything, quilting and postage should be enough donation, considering there would be several each month. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

...and I would not doubt this is going on somewhere within the vast QOV network.....

eilers12634 12-08-2014 04:31 AM

QOV is revamping and now asking for a annual membership fee to belong. If anyone donates money to you it must be turned in to headquarters. I have donated quilts and longarmed over 30 during the past year and money was all out of my pocket. I only donate locally . National organization is getting way too restrictive. If I have to pay membership to even belong to the organization, my donations will be going elsewhere. Check October newsletter for membership fees.
Jeanne

JustAbitCrazy 12-08-2014 04:46 AM

A guild member recently told us that QOV also only accepts quilts made with quilt shop fabrics! I intend to make a QOV, but will deliver it myself to a local veteran I know of who did three tours in Afghanistan. It won't be part of the National QOV program at all. They are really getting too demanding. Our guild voted not to contribute to QOV anymore. Too rich for us.

junercrosslin 12-08-2014 05:22 AM

I make and donate quilts to to veterans in our local nursing homes, and they are not picky at all. I am a member of the American Legion Auxiliary, and all we get from our veterans are hugs, smiles, and thank you. We love our veterans, and these quilts are much appreciated by those that are in these facilities.

Onebyone 12-08-2014 06:06 AM

When a good idea gets organized and committeeized then it becomes nothing but a set of rules.