Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did You Know (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-know-t257872.html)

Michellesews 12-07-2014 10:15 AM

Did You Know

That long arm quilters who volunteer their skill, time, labor, thread, etc., for Quilts of Valor are also expected to provide the batting AND postage to mail the quilts back to the place of origin?

I recently volunteered my long arm services and quilted two quilts for which the lady generously included the batting and postage. Then I was given another "partner" to quilt for and I find out I'm supposed to supply these things.

I was so sad to realize that my services are not required without a donation of $100.00 a month, which is what this costs for two quilts a month for QOV. I live with a wounded warrior who cannot work due to his disabilities. We live on Social Security so my "volunteering" for this organization is out of the question!

Did anyone else realize this ? I feel so, well I don't even know how to describe how I feel!

Eisy 12-07-2014 10:19 AM

I feel for you. I made quilts for "Kids for Quilt" They too supplied the kit but you needed to supply the batting and return postage. I loved doing it but the cost of postage just got to be too much.

newbee3 12-07-2014 10:21 AM

I understand completely I also volunteered to do longarm quilting for QOV the postage to mail them plus the batting is really quite high I told them I could not do it

Jan in VA 12-07-2014 10:36 AM

In my opinion, Quilts of Valor has lost its way. There are other programs accepting military "honor" quilts and I usually go with them now.

mike'sgirl 12-07-2014 10:41 AM

I appreciate what they do, but feel they put too many requirements on the people who volunteer. That's why I will never volunteer for them. Wounded warriors are much more lenient on what they expect. I get that you have to have parameters, but they just have too many.

Tartan 12-07-2014 11:07 AM

WHAT! I am shocked that you are expected to provide batt and postage. You are already donating your quilting, thread and time!

Jennie and Me 12-07-2014 11:09 AM

I, too, have done Quilts of Valor and it is expensive. Living on a fixed income, I have to pick and choose my donations. Makes it really sad for me as I love to give.

kindleaddict63 12-07-2014 11:45 AM

I did not know that! I have to admit I was intimidated by the criteria they insist on.

ptquilts 12-07-2014 11:54 AM

I bet if you made some quilts and brought them to your local VA hospital or nursing home (they should know which patients are veterans), you would find someone to love and appreciate them. Not always necessary to get a national organization involved.

ckcowl 12-07-2014 12:15 PM

Giving locally is one way to get around some of this. When organizations become so large they do tend to have to come up with ways/ policies to deal with the amount of supplies, costs... There is a lot of ( red tape/ extra costs) when it becomes a (national or world wide charity) give to your local organizations, * the American Legion, VFW, Veterans hospitals, Care Facilities and Senior Centers -- there are more too*
Then, if you want the ( national recognition) you can send in pictures of you & your quilts, or the recipient with the quilt and state where you donated it