Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you make curtains for your sewing space? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-make-curtains-your-sewing-space-t176224.html)

Whigrose 01-19-2012 01:09 PM

Did you make curtains for your sewing space?

I am thinking about making some sort of curtains or window treatments for my sewing room. Just curious, how many of you have made your own curtains for your sewing space? A friend told me I should put some beads on them as well to reflect two of my hobbies. Hm, not sure I'd do that because of the laundering issue.

Please feel free to share pics of what you may have created for your space.

ckcowl 01-19-2012 01:13 PM

i made quilted drapes for our bedroom when we first moved into the house- i've been working on a 'Cathedral Windows' project for window treatments for the sewing room- but just recently saw a French Braid window Valance that was Awesome! so now- i'm thinking about doing something different with my Cathedral Windows- and going with a braid---we shall see what i wind up with- :)

Drue 01-19-2012 02:12 PM

I have bamboo wood blinds and love them. The ones in my sewing room are wood colored and I just vacuum them when I vac the room...about once a year or so I do wipe them with a good duster as well. I'm not a big fan of curtains or drapes....Our entire house has wood , 2" blinds....the livingroom and diningroom are white, the rest of the house (bedroom, den, gameroom/breezeway, bathrooms, breakfast room and kitchen are the wood tone.

Drue 01-19-2012 02:14 PM

I did forget to mention that I do have lace sheers over the blinds in the master bedroom . The blinds are 2", not 1"!

Drue 01-19-2012 02:18 PM

oops...the blinds are 2", not 1"

suern3 01-19-2012 02:27 PM

I thought my sewing room/guest room needed brightening up so I made a valance that also angles down each side of the window. The window already had blinds which I left up. I found a pattern that I liked that also includes an ironing board cover and box covers. I think it is a Simplicity pattern. I'm not creative enough to work without a pattern or instructions. Anyway, I'm really pleased with how it turned out and plan to do a new paint color, also. I'm out of town now for awhile so can't send a picture or tell you the pattern number. My 16 yo DGS even mentioned to me how the curtain brightened up the room!

morelcabin 01-19-2012 02:30 PM

I've been thinking of making curtains for my sewing room...with thread thimbles embroiders or appliqued on, along with other sewing notions, just for fun:)

NJ Quilter 01-19-2012 02:50 PM

At one point or another I've made curtains/valances/drapes for just about every room in our house. I've done sheers, tab top panels, pleated drapes, roman shades, all kinds of valances. They are all very easy to do. The one thing to keep in mind is cost. You are NOT going to save money making curtains for your home unless you are looking for a true 'decorator' look. As we all know fabric is expensive. Home dec fabric even more so. Then there is the lining. Double your fabric costs as you have 2 layers of fabric. If you want an insulating (either heat/sun) type lining the price is crazy. But in the end you get something that no one else has.

athomenow 01-19-2012 02:53 PM

I have blinds in my sewing room 2in wooden. I'm thinking of a valance in there but don't want anything that blocks the light. My sewing room is below grade so while i get good light for part of the day it isn't great. I've done more curtains for the kids houses than mine.

deemail 01-19-2012 05:46 PM

I have vertical blinds and velvet drapes in my sewing room as I have a huge picture window and I want to be able to control the light well... this way I can totally darken the room unless I am actually working in it....