Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Did you make curtains for your sewing space?

Did you make curtains for your sewing space?

I am thinking about making some sort of curtains or window treatments for my sewing room. Just curious, how many of you have made your own curtains for your sewing space? A friend told me I should put some beads on them as well to reflect two of my hobbies. Hm, not sure I'd do that because of the laundering issue.

Please feel free to share pics of what you may have created for your space.
    My best is the least I can do.

Blog Entries
    i made quilted drapes for our bedroom when we first moved into the house- i've been working on a 'Cathedral Windows' project for window treatments for the sewing room- but just recently saw a French Braid window Valance that was Awesome! so now- i'm thinking about doing something different with my Cathedral Windows- and going with a braid---we shall see what i wind up with-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have bamboo wood blinds and love them. The ones in my sewing room are wood colored and I just vacuum them when I vac the room...about once a year or so I do wipe them with a good duster as well. I'm not a big fan of curtains or drapes....Our entire house has wood , 2" blinds....the livingroom and diningroom are white, the rest of the house (bedroom, den, gameroom/breezeway, bathrooms, breakfast room and kitchen are the wood tone.
    Last edited by Drue; 01-19-2012 at 02:17 PM.
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I did forget to mention that I do have lace sheers over the blinds in the master bedroom . The blinds are 2", not 1"!

Hugs,
    Drue

oops...the blinds are 2", not 1"

Hugs,
    Drue

I thought my sewing room/guest room needed brightening up so I made a valance that also angles down each side of the window. The window already had blinds which I left up. I found a pattern that I liked that also includes an ironing board cover and box covers. I think it is a Simplicity pattern. I'm not creative enough to work without a pattern or instructions. Anyway, I'm really pleased with how it turned out and plan to do a new paint color, also. I'm out of town now for awhile so can't send a picture or tell you the pattern number. My 16 yo DGS even mentioned to me how the curtain brightened up the room!

Banned
    I've been thinking of making curtains for my sewing room...with thread thimbles embroiders or appliqued on, along with other sewing notions, just for fun

At one point or another I've made curtains/valances/drapes for just about every room in our house. I've done sheers, tab top panels, pleated drapes, roman shades, all kinds of valances. They are all very easy to do. The one thing to keep in mind is cost. You are NOT going to save money making curtains for your home unless you are looking for a true 'decorator' look. As we all know fabric is expensive. Home dec fabric even more so. Then there is the lining. Double your fabric costs as you have 2 layers of fabric. If you want an insulating (either heat/sun) type lining the price is crazy. But in the end you get something that no one else has.

I have blinds in my sewing room 2in wooden. I'm thinking of a valance in there but don't want anything that blocks the light. My sewing room is below grade so while i get good light for part of the day it isn't great. I've done more curtains for the kids houses than mine.
    Debra

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    I have vertical blinds and velvet drapes in my sewing room as I have a huge picture window and I want to be able to control the light well... this way I can totally darken the room unless I am actually working in it....

Yes, I made these. Nothing spectacular. I just measured the window, added a few inches for "scrunch", measured to the length I wanted and added a few inches for the sleeve at the top. Seamed all around. There are two pieces of sheer fabric (one sheer was too sheer), they are sewn together at the top sleeve, and just tacked together at the corners to keep them together.

I actually had my eye on a different sheer that had beautiful gold threads and beading woven through it, but I'm a practical person and there is no way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks I am going to pay $50.00 a yard for curtain fabric for a sewing room!!! It sure was pretty though!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I have 2" blinds in all the rms except living rm they are huge doors and windows with the verticals. I have hemmed a lot of curtains and made just a simple pocket rod valance's for some. My computer/sewing rm I bought some sheers for $3. and hemmed them and made a simple rod pocket valance to match and took some ribbon that had blue/white flowers with the wire on edges and tied them back mainly so I can get good light my sewing machine is under the window. I like the sheer curtains because I don't like being closed in just want a little privacy. The rod pockets are easy to do and sometimes unless you want designer fabric it's cheaper to buy something and fix it over. The price of fabric is more than I could make them for with fabric. Good Luck. Sue

I have made curtains literally hundreds of times - everything imaginable and some I imagined on my own. Back when the Pricilla style curtains were the rage, I had lined versions on every window of the old house we lived in.Curtains are easy enough. Get a JoAnns coupon. Find something you like and buy a little extra. If you screw up you have it and if you don't, make a pillow. Look at remnants and clearance, too. The curtains in my bathroom are made from stuff from the clearance rack. I think I have less than ten dollars in the fabric and the trim I used on them and like someone else said, they are one of a kind.Good luck!

I have the black out verticals in my sewing room window, but they have the tunnels on the sides that hold fabric or wall paper. Therefore, I have a fancy valance and sides on the window with the fabric in the verticals looking like the fabric was never cut on the inside. Nobody can ever figure it out! The window is pretty large and in the front of the house, so I can open it all the way during the day, but have total privacy at night.
    Of course verticals aren't as popular these days, but when I did my Art Studio-it is ALL windows 18 x 24 except one wall, I did verticals, but used a beautiful sheer over the solid verticals again, and the sheers are connected. It's a very expensive treatment at the blind store, but hey, we're sewers!! Again, it let's all the light in, but can be closed when I teach at night if necessary. It actually made the room much brighter and fresher with them. I would go to Home depot and other places that do window treatments to get ideas for your space, then copy them!
    sally in Florida

I have blinds I can open or close to let the light in or keep the sun out. I have a quilt on the wall so don't want the sun to fade it. I also have sheers that are draped back and I made swags to go over them.

Blog Entries
    I only have one window in my sewing room, and it came with mini-blinds. I made a valance out of cute sewing themed fabric. I hung the valance high enough that it only covers the top hanging frame of the mini blind. Doesn't block any of the light and covers the hardware.

I bought some white cutwork curtains that cover the top third of the upper window, and have pull-shades to regulate incoming light, but wanted something more. When the WHOLE family is here for the holidays, my sewing room becomes a spare bedroom and there is a definite need for privacy. The pull-shades are white and some family members don't feel enough privacy is there with the white shades. SO:

I bought some inexpensive cloth pull-shades. Then I pieced together (for each of the three windows) 12 pieced quilt blocks with white sashing and borders of the same width as the sashing. Then I ironed a "thin-ish" fusible fleece to the back of the "quilt" and then stitched the "quilt" to the pull shade. When one or two or all of them are pulled down, it's definitely private and actually looks like a big wall quilt with the white molding between the windows looking like the white sashing and borders. I got rid of the cutwork curtains and now have a nice pop of color in the room.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

I have three long windows and had to replace the old mini blinds. Budget necessitated cheap and I was also in a hurry. I found three solid tablecloths on clearance that matched my room. I bought metal rods at Big Lots and rings with clips with a coupon at Hancock Fabrics. No sewing...just clipped the tablecloths up. I pull them back when I need the light, close at night for privacy. Quick, cheap & lazy. Maybe someday I'll do more, but this works for now.
    Remember the teakettle...it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it still sings!

A Proper Tea is much nicer than a Very Nearly Tea, which is one you forget about afterwards. ~ Winnie the Pooh (A.A. Milne)

Jim
    Ive made drapes and curtains for every room in our home except our sewing studio...at one point I started a log cabin pattern for the room but we decided the blinds were enough in
    there so we can have it very bright
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol: