Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you make curtains for your sewing space? >

Did you make curtains for your sewing space?

Did you make curtains for your sewing space?

Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM

Yes, I made these. Nothing spectacular. I just measured the window, added a few inches for "scrunch", measured to the length I wanted and added a few inches for the sleeve at the top. Seamed all around. There are two pieces of sheer fabric (one sheer was too sheer), they are sewn together at the top sleeve, and just tacked together at the corners to keep them together.

I actually had my eye on a different sheer that had beautiful gold threads and beading woven through it, but I'm a practical person and there is no way in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks I am going to pay $50.00 a yard for curtain fabric for a sewing room!!! It sure was pretty though!!
Attached Thumbnails img_1912.jpg   img_1913.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM

I have 2" blinds in all the rms except living rm they are huge doors and windows with the verticals. I have hemmed a lot of curtains and made just a simple pocket rod valance's for some. My computer/sewing rm I bought some sheers for $3. and hemmed them and made a simple rod pocket valance to match and took some ribbon that had blue/white flowers with the wire on edges and tied them back mainly so I can get good light my sewing machine is under the window. I like the sheer curtains because I don't like being closed in just want a little privacy. The rod pockets are easy to do and sometimes unless you want designer fabric it's cheaper to buy something and fix it over. The price of fabric is more than I could make them for with fabric. Good Luck. Sue
Old 01-20-2012, 02:29 AM

I have made curtains literally hundreds of times - everything imaginable and some I imagined on my own. Back when the Pricilla style curtains were the rage, I had lined versions on every window of the old house we lived in.Curtains are easy enough. Get a JoAnns coupon. Find something you like and buy a little extra. If you screw up you have it and if you don't, make a pillow. Look at remnants and clearance, too. The curtains in my bathroom are made from stuff from the clearance rack. I think I have less than ten dollars in the fabric and the trim I used on them and like someone else said, they are one of a kind.Good luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:27 AM

I have the black out verticals in my sewing room window, but they have the tunnels on the sides that hold fabric or wall paper. Therefore, I have a fancy valance and sides on the window with the fabric in the verticals looking like the fabric was never cut on the inside. Nobody can ever figure it out! The window is pretty large and in the front of the house, so I can open it all the way during the day, but have total privacy at night.
Of course verticals aren't as popular these days, but when I did my Art Studio-it is ALL windows 18 x 24 except one wall, I did verticals, but used a beautiful sheer over the solid verticals again, and the sheers are connected. It's a very expensive treatment at the blind store, but hey, we're sewers!! Again, it let's all the light in, but can be closed when I teach at night if necessary. It actually made the room much brighter and fresher with them. I would go to Home depot and other places that do window treatments to get ideas for your space, then copy them!
sally in Florida
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 AM

I have blinds I can open or close to let the light in or keep the sun out. I have a quilt on the wall so don't want the sun to fade it. I also have sheers that are draped back and I made swags to go over them.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM

I only have one window in my sewing room, and it came with mini-blinds. I made a valance out of cute sewing themed fabric. I hung the valance high enough that it only covers the top hanging frame of the mini blind. Doesn't block any of the light and covers the hardware.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:46 PM

I bought some white cutwork curtains that cover the top third of the upper window, and have pull-shades to regulate incoming light, but wanted something more. When the WHOLE family is here for the holidays, my sewing room becomes a spare bedroom and there is a definite need for privacy. The pull-shades are white and some family members don't feel enough privacy is there with the white shades. SO:

I bought some inexpensive cloth pull-shades. Then I pieced together (for each of the three windows) 12 pieced quilt blocks with white sashing and borders of the same width as the sashing. Then I ironed a "thin-ish" fusible fleece to the back of the "quilt" and then stitched the "quilt" to the pull shade. When one or two or all of them are pulled down, it's definitely private and actually looks like a big wall quilt with the white molding between the windows looking like the white sashing and borders. I got rid of the cutwork curtains and now have a nice pop of color in the room.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:42 PM

I have three long windows and had to replace the old mini blinds. Budget necessitated cheap and I was also in a hurry. I found three solid tablecloths on clearance that matched my room. I bought metal rods at Big Lots and rings with clips with a coupon at Hancock Fabrics. No sewing...just clipped the tablecloths up. I pull them back when I need the light, close at night for privacy. Quick, cheap & lazy. Maybe someday I'll do more, but this works for now.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Jim

Ive made drapes and curtains for every room in our home except our sewing studio...at one point I started a log cabin pattern for the room but we decided the blinds were enough in
there so we can have it very bright