Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you start sewing in 4-H? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-start-sewing-4-h-t66855.html)

bob1414 10-04-2010 04:29 PM

I sewed a scarf in 4-H - that was my first project. I'm self taught, though. I sewed a wedding gown when I was still in high school. Our home-ec classes were a complete joke. I better not say anything else. I don't sew clothing any longer - just mending and quilting!!

maryjoan 10-05-2010 07:46 AM

It's wonderful that you started this way. I started with my mother teaching my sister and I. We were making pj's at about 10 years old. Over the years everything was made on the machine when fabric was CHEAP. But, when I saw a quilt on the cover of a Family Circle magazine I GOT HOOKED. How's about other people and how they got started having fun with fabric?

Nanalulu 10-05-2010 07:48 AM

Yes I started sewing in 4-H and my mother was the one that was teaching us all.

Nan Quilts 10-11-2010 03:06 PM

Never did 4-H. My mom taught me to sew when I was a kid, but it was my husband's sister that got me hooked on quilting. Three years ago, after I had retired, she drug me to a quilting class with her and I was hooked. Now she and I get together to quilt and it has given a whole new facet to our relationship, which I am thankful for. I feel truly blessed.

pinecone 10-11-2010 04:59 PM

Wow, 7 pages of replies! I too started to sew in 4-H at the age of 9. Our leader said she would teach anyone in the group how to drive except me....my foot was too heavy to the pedal. First project was a wrist pincushion, then a laundry bag that hung over a coathanger, those aprons with a plastic sort of clip waist band. I've made plaid winter coats, lined velvet long gowns annnnnd quilts! I also have a home for wayward machines. Counting 11 so far. :thumbup:

piney

117becca 10-11-2010 05:44 PM

Second the "wow on 7 pages of replies"!!

I am also a 4-H'er...My first project was a tote bag. I've been sewing since i was 7 yrs old. I sold my clarinet while i was in college to buy a sewing machine.

I spent my summers working on fair projects, demonstrations...and we spent a week at Cook's Forest PA...A couple years ago, I went to visit a friend - their camp is just outside the Forest - and we went by where I stayed as a kid.....

tuesy 10-11-2010 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dianne Lenore
Although I learned to sew from my grandmother, the first projects I made were in the 4-H club. Two other members of our small club are also quilters now. I wonder if others began this way.

No, I wished I had though. I learned from my Mom (who to this day if she touches a sewing machine, the tension goes all screwy) I also took home ec in school and learned alot that way. Knitting and Crocheting I learned from my Grandma.

oksewglad 10-11-2010 07:17 PM

Just a salute to all 4-H ers past, present and future. National 4-H week has just gotten over.

VickyS 10-11-2010 07:32 PM

What great memories! My mom and dad met in 4-H... and got me and my brothers and sister into it. The lady that shared in teaching the sewing gave me some tips I still use today - like the "tentering".... how to match checks ...check the quality of the plaid material ...and determining the repeat in the print.

The club is still going strong in our area, but I could never seem to get my children interested. However, both learned to sew and quilt and are pretty handy with a pair of shears.