Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Did you start sewing in 4-H? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/did-you-start-sewing-4-h-t66855.html)

Elliotsgreatgrandma 09-29-2010 08:46 AM

Yes that was the only time Mother would let me use the sewing machine

Cassews 09-29-2010 10:15 AM

no 4 h-r here, self taught out of neccesity for sure, but still learning.

Pattigail 09-29-2010 12:19 PM

Yes, I did learn to sew in 4_H. Some of the happiest moments I remember from childhood are of 4-h.

booklady 09-29-2010 01:53 PM

4-H was a major part of my childhood and helped me in so many ways! Been sewing since age 8 and had the machine all to myself since no one else in the family used it! Started with a triangle scarf! (Showing my age!) and a green tote bag that lasted nearly 40 years.

In fact, it is still a part of my life since I'm an alumni of 4-H and the International 4-H Exchange program. Still support both programs whenever possible. In fact, my license plate is a 4-H plate!

sylvia77 09-29-2010 03:39 PM

I taught myself to sew but I also took sewing in jr. high as well.

Mimi4 09-29-2010 05:05 PM

I learned to sew from home ec in the 5th grade. We started with a stitch book and then an apron. My first pattern was a one piece zipper up the front jumpsuit for my toddler sister. It was blue with big flowers on it.

Annz 09-29-2010 07:13 PM

An aunt showed me one summer how to sew on a sewing machine.

Scissor Queen 09-29-2010 07:24 PM

I didn't get to join 4-H or Girl Scouts or anything like that.

I learned to hand sew before I was in kindergarten and then took sewing in 7th grade.

I got married when I was 16 and my mom gave me her old machine when I was 18. For years after that I tailored my clothes that came from the second hand store and made my dressy clothes. I made all of the boys shirts and pajamas until they were about 7 to 8 because by then I could buy them cheap t-shirts and they both wore the same size.

stitchingmemories 09-29-2010 07:55 PM

Wow, so many things coming back to me. I actually learned to sew by sitting at the drop down extention of my mothers sewing cabinet and watching her every move. My brother even learned.

Then as a freshman in high school, in 4H we made pillows using fleese, with the school initials appliqued on them and sold them. Wow, I really did applique back in high school. haha Thanks for reminding me! haha But no quilting until years later. Then only placemats.

cherryberry 09-29-2010 07:57 PM

Yes. I enjoyed being in 4H. I made dresses and was in the dress reviews and was so proud of the ribbons that I won. We also did cooking demonstrations and received ribbons for that. Did anyone else make a lamp in 4H? 4H really taught us a lot! Oh, the first thing I made in 4H was a skirt with an elastic waist band. My mom is the one who continued to teach me to sew and is responsible for my love of sewing. My grandmother and great grandmother were quilters and responsible for my love of quilts.