Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Differences in sewing machine needle brands - (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/differences-sewing-machine-needle-brands-t292789.html)

quiltedsunshine 11-23-2017 06:38 AM

The standard needle configuration from Schmetz and Bernina is 130 705H. This tells you that the distance from the top of the needle to the top of the eye is the same. Singer's number HAx 1, is the same configuration. Then Superior and Organ have a different number for the same length (but I don't know what that is). Top stitch needles, with the longer eye, should still be the same length from the top of the needle to the top of the eye. One timing setting is that the hook should pass at the top of the eye as the needle is on the way up.

Industrial needles and longarm needles usually have a round top, instead of the flat on the back side. And the configuration, or length from top of needle to top of eye will be longer or shorter to accommodate that particular machines timing setting.

klswift 11-23-2017 08:49 AM

I think with today's machines, the brand name is not that important. The type of needle is what makes the difference. First there is the size, the material it is made of and what is says to use it for. But, as far as the brand name - if it is on sale - it is the right one to use!

citruscountyquilter 11-24-2017 05:36 AM

I always used Schmetz or Klase brand needles until I decided to try Janome needles in my Janome machine. I do notice a difference in it took care of any skipped stitches especially when pivoting at points or going through thicker areas. It must be that they are a smidgen longer so they pick up the bobbin thread better. I've used both the purple tip and red tip ones with good results.

KLO 11-24-2017 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by rryder (Post 7949408)
I have recently tried some Organ anti-glue needles and my PQ1500s seems to prefer them for quilting through spray basted items.

Rob

I did not know there was such a thing like this out there. Thanks for posting that information. Wonder if they work better going through fused applique pieces also?

Cari-in-Oly 11-24-2017 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 7949763)
I always used Schmetz or Klase brand needles until I decided to try Janome needles in my Janome machine. I do notice a difference in it took care of any skipped stitches especially when pivoting at points or going through thicker areas. It must be that they are a smidgen longer so they pick up the bobbin thread better. I've used both the purple tip and red tip ones with good results.

Janome needles are also made by Organ. Once again, you're paying more for the name.

Cari

Pennyhal 11-24-2017 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Macybaby (Post 7948967)
technically -the SYSTEM denotes what machine it fits, the Style is what type of tip the needle has, and the size is how big in diameter the needle has. One item not address is the type of metal and process the needle goes through to harden it. Some processes make metal more brittle, some make it more flexible. And different mixtures of metal (alloys) can react very differently. And now some companies are putting different coatings on the needle after manufacture.

Then there is quality control- some companies have higher tolerances than others, so if the needle is suppose to be .05268 diameter (number pulled off the ceiling) but one company says +-.005 is close enough and another says .0005 is close enough . . .

So there is a lot more going into selection of needle other than System, Style and Size

I have over 150 machines with probable over 15 systems. Now days the vast majority of domestic machines use the same system that Singer started using in the late 1800's (and at the time, they were one of the few US companies using that one).

I have no idea who is actually making the needles that have the Singer brand name on them. I don't know if SVP owns any needle production factories. Sometimes you find many "brands" are made at the same place, but they have different specifications so being made at the same place in no way means they are similar in quality.

Ok Cathy! I understand your addition to sewing machines..but please explain: Where do you keep them all?

SusieQOH 11-24-2017 01:57 PM

Bear, I mostly use Schmetz and Organ. I like them both and don't really see a difference. I just got a great deal on Organ from Amazon. I'm not going to need needles for awhile.

ccthomas 11-24-2017 06:21 PM

How does one find out that Organ makes Janome and Superior Needles. Is there a Organ web site with this information?

Cari-in-Oly 11-24-2017 11:07 PM

https://www.superiorthreads.com/educ...le-infographic - for Superior needles.

I forget where I found out about the Janome needles.

Cari

Sheri.a 11-25-2017 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by ccthomas (Post 7950116)
How does one find out that Organ makes Janome and Superior Needles. Is there a Organ web site with this information?

If you look at the needles with a magnifying glass you can see “Organ” stamped on them