Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   different background? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/different-background-t293623.html)

grma33 12-29-2017 04:56 AM

different background?

has any one used different backgrounds in their quilts? Pictures
i saw a quilt in a magazine don`t know where and i`,m embarking on using my scraps batiks with black white and lite grey
going to make magic boxes by kimberly eimo craftsypattern
Gale

ckcowl 12-29-2017 05:15 AM

I use different backgrounds all the time. Sometimes a different background on each block

Geri B 12-29-2017 05:44 AM

Don't see why not....... I think in magazines mostly lite neutrals are used to showcase the prints used.....jmho

sprice 12-29-2017 06:02 AM

I make charity kids quilts mostly and I don't want to make them white since it's not practical for kids. Really any background color can work if it sets off the other colors used.

QuiltnNan 12-29-2017 06:02 AM

Fresh Quilting this morning showed a pieced background with applique over it. the applique was the focus of the quilt... the background gave it more interest than just a plain/homogeneous background

Boston1954 12-29-2017 06:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have seen many quilts with different backgrounds in each block. They are fascinating.

This is a picture I took at a show in 2008. The different tans and beiges give this quilt a lot of character.

soccertxi 12-29-2017 08:34 AM

I do it all the time on purpose. Not only do I get to use up neutrals I don't have much of, I think it gives the quilt some interest

Jingle 12-29-2017 01:13 PM

Boston that quilt is very pretty. I do try to use just one background color throughout.

klswift 12-30-2017 09:23 AM

The 2 things I have said to students too many times to count are 1) absolutely learn to perfect your 1/4" seams, and 2) it is your quilt, make it your way! Want to use a variety of fabrics - go for it, want to use different backgrounds, borders, no borders, odd size blocks, whatever - GO FOR IT! Along the way you will learn what works and doesn't work and what you like and don't like. But, other than entering it in a show, there are no rules (exception is the 1/4" seam which if not done correctly will cause you lots of headaches). The quilt police will not come to your house and whomever receives the quilt will not (shouldn't!) be looking it over for any unintended 'design elements'. HAVE FUN!

JanieH 12-30-2017 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by klswift (Post 7972346)
The 2 things I have said to students too many times to count are 1) absolutely learn to perfect your 1/4" seams, and 2) it is your quilt, make it your way! Want to use a variety of fabrics - go for it, want to use different backgrounds, borders, no borders, odd size blocks, whatever - GO FOR IT! Along the way you will learn what works and doesn't work and what you like and don't like. But, other than entering it in a show, there are no rules (exception is the 1/4" seam which if not done correctly will cause you lots of headaches). The quilt police will not come to your house and whomever receives the quilt will not (shouldn't!) be looking it over for any unintended 'design elements'. HAVE FUN!

Great advice - I love it!