Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: different background?

different background?

has any one used different backgrounds in their quilts? Pictures
    i saw a quilt in a magazine don`t know where and i`,m embarking on using my scraps batiks with black white and lite grey
    going to make magic boxes by kimberly eimo craftsypattern
    Gale

Blog Entries
    I use different backgrounds all the time. Sometimes a different background on each block
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Don't see why not....... I think in magazines mostly lite neutrals are used to showcase the prints used.....jmho

I make charity kids quilts mostly and I don't want to make them white since it's not practical for kids. Really any background color can work if it sets off the other colors used.

Blog Entries
    Fresh Quilting this morning showed a pieced background with applique over it. the applique was the focus of the quilt... the background gave it more interest than just a plain/homogeneous background
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I have seen many quilts with different backgrounds in each block. They are fascinating.

This is a picture I took at a show in 2008. The different tans and beiges give this quilt a lot of character.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I do it all the time on purpose. Not only do I get to use up neutrals I don't have much of, I think it gives the quilt some interest

Boston that quilt is very pretty. I do try to use just one background color throughout.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    The 2 things I have said to students too many times to count are 1) absolutely learn to perfect your 1/4" seams, and 2) it is your quilt, make it your way! Want to use a variety of fabrics - go for it, want to use different backgrounds, borders, no borders, odd size blocks, whatever - GO FOR IT! Along the way you will learn what works and doesn't work and what you like and don't like. But, other than entering it in a show, there are no rules (exception is the 1/4" seam which if not done correctly will cause you lots of headaches). The quilt police will not come to your house and whomever receives the quilt will not (shouldn't!) be looking it over for any unintended 'design elements'. HAVE FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by klswift View Post
    The 2 things I have said to students too many times to count are 1) absolutely learn to perfect your 1/4" seams, and 2) it is your quilt, make it your way! Want to use a variety of fabrics - go for it, want to use different backgrounds, borders, no borders, odd size blocks, whatever - GO FOR IT! Along the way you will learn what works and doesn't work and what you like and don't like. But, other than entering it in a show, there are no rules (exception is the 1/4" seam which if not done correctly will cause you lots of headaches). The quilt police will not come to your house and whomever receives the quilt will not (shouldn't!) be looking it over for any unintended 'design elements'. HAVE FUN!
    Great advice - I love it!

Here is an example in a top I recently finished. I love to mix neutrals for the backgrounds.

Name:  IMG_3182.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  93.8 KB
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
    Here is an example in a top I recently finished. I love to mix neutrals for the backgrounds.

Name:  IMG_3182.JPG
Views: 698
Size:  93.8 KB
    luv this! thanks for the picture! Gale

Sewbizgirl that quilt top is so gorgeous! Love the different background neutrals!

Absolutely you can use different backgrounds. I am making one now with six different ones.