Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Disappointing Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/disappointing-flannel-t259924.html)

bkinser 01-18-2015 08:39 PM

Disappointing Flannel

I recently made a rag quilty for my granddaughter. I was very disappointed in the flannel after the first wash. I was pilly and looked faded. What is the best brand of flannel to purchase and where do you get it? I would like to make some more quilts, but would like a better outcome.

Tartan 01-18-2015 09:10 PM

I WISH there was one brand or maker that you could count on to not pill. I have had expensive brands of flannel pill and one from Walmart that washed beautifully. It's a crap shoot and the only way to find out how it will react is to wash it before putting it in a quilt. Since flannel shrinks quite a bit, washing serves two purposes.

crashnquilt 01-18-2015 10:02 PM

I order from flannel world and have not been disappointed in a single purchase.

quiltingcandy 01-18-2015 10:35 PM

I am with Tartan - it really is a crap shoot. It can shrink in both width and length. I have bought it from Walmart, Joann's, Beverly's, Fabric.com, and the list goes on. I order based on what goes with the rest of the quilt or that I think is cute. One quilt I was making with Disney Princesses - found some on-line for $9.00+ a yard which seemed pricey. Went to Walmart found one extremely similar of $2.95 a yard and it washed up fantastic. I had another one that I paid a lot for because it was so pretty, and it looked like I shaved it. (Thus the reason I bought the less expensive Disney fabric because if it fell apart the investment wasn't as much.)

It is rare when it goes bad - but it does happen.

NJ Quilter 01-19-2015 03:21 AM

I've only used Moda flannel and have been extremely satisfied. Nice heavy, soft flannel (but very nice 'hand'); washed/dried beautifully and has held up well in the quilt. I bought in person in Lancaster. Quilt and Fabric Shack. Unfortunately they do not do online sales. Great shop though, if you are in Lancaster.

profannie 01-19-2015 04:16 AM

I found that flannel from brand name like Moda, Riley Blake, etc. never fade, but for the pilling issue, you never know. Looking at the flannel backing of my quilt, I found more pilling in some area after only a few wash! But compared to the pilling of what I consider garnement flannel (the generic brand I buy from Joann or any big fabric store) it's nothing. I can live with a bit of pilling, but I don't want the fabric to become flimsy and faded.

profannie 01-19-2015 04:18 AM

Just a tought: you may want to try Connecting thread flannel. I found it an excellent quality for the price.

PaperPrincess 01-19-2015 05:10 AM

I have also had mixed results. I have purchased wonderful flannel at big box stores, and paid top dollar for name brand flannel from a LQS that pilled so badly I was almost embarrassed to gift it. In general, however, I have had the best luck with the LQS stuff.

Kitsie 01-19-2015 11:26 AM

I have used Timeless Treasures Fabric, Inc flannel and LOVE it! No pilling, not much shrinkage if any. Can't remember the store I ordered it from, but they have their own web site.

gingerd 01-19-2015 01:41 PM

That's the way I feel about the first flannel I made. I purchased the flannel from Joann's. I won't do that again. This last time I went to a quilt store. I love the flannel there. It was nice and soft to work with and came out beautifully!