Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Disappointing Flannel

Disappointing Flannel

I recently made a rag quilty for my granddaughter. I was very disappointed in the flannel after the first wash. I was pilly and looked faded. What is the best brand of flannel to purchase and where do you get it? I would like to make some more quilts, but would like a better outcome.

Power Poster
    I WISH there was one brand or maker that you could count on to not pill. I have had expensive brands of flannel pill and one from Walmart that washed beautifully. It's a crap shoot and the only way to find out how it will react is to wash it before putting it in a quilt. Since flannel shrinks quite a bit, washing serves two purposes.

I order from flannel world and have not been disappointed in a single purchase.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

I am with Tartan - it really is a crap shoot. It can shrink in both width and length. I have bought it from Walmart, Joann's, Beverly's, Fabric.com, and the list goes on. I order based on what goes with the rest of the quilt or that I think is cute. One quilt I was making with Disney Princesses - found some on-line for $9.00+ a yard which seemed pricey. Went to Walmart found one extremely similar of $2.95 a yard and it washed up fantastic. I had another one that I paid a lot for because it was so pretty, and it looked like I shaved it. (Thus the reason I bought the less expensive Disney fabric because if it fell apart the investment wasn't as much.)

It is rare when it goes bad - but it does happen.

I've only used Moda flannel and have been extremely satisfied. Nice heavy, soft flannel (but very nice 'hand'); washed/dried beautifully and has held up well in the quilt. I bought in person in Lancaster. Quilt and Fabric Shack. Unfortunately they do not do online sales. Great shop though, if you are in Lancaster.

I found that flannel from brand name like Moda, Riley Blake, etc. never fade, but for the pilling issue, you never know. Looking at the flannel backing of my quilt, I found more pilling in some area after only a few wash! But compared to the pilling of what I consider garnement flannel (the generic brand I buy from Joann or any big fabric store) it's nothing. I can live with a bit of pilling, but I don't want the fabric to become flimsy and faded.

Just a tought: you may want to try Connecting thread flannel. I found it an excellent quality for the price.

Blog Entries
    I have also had mixed results. I have purchased wonderful flannel at big box stores, and paid top dollar for name brand flannel from a LQS that pilled so badly I was almost embarrassed to gift it. In general, however, I have had the best luck with the LQS stuff.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    I have used Timeless Treasures Fabric, Inc flannel and LOVE it! No pilling, not much shrinkage if any. Can't remember the store I ordered it from, but they have their own web site.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

That's the way I feel about the first flannel I made. I purchased the flannel from Joann's. I won't do that again. This last time I went to a quilt store. I love the flannel there. It was nice and soft to work with and came out beautifully!
    Ginger
    ~stitching one thread at a time~

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Like others have stated, it's a crap shoot. Don't know how it's going to turn out til it's washed. I wash in hot water and toss into a hot dryer. I usually buy minimum of 1 1/4 yds to allow for shrinkage.