Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Discussion on Fabric choices for OBW (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/discussion-fabric-choices-obw-t34937.html)

cutebuns 01-27-2010 02:56 PM

they will work, i think that they are good choices.

DeniseB 01-27-2010 04:01 PM

OK I am in. I have the book and some fabric. Starting Mon 02/1/10 I am unemployed and have time who ho,

Cutebuns is this the page we should keep checging in? or will it be under tutorials?

Thanks for doing this.

Denise

Piedmont Quilter 01-27-2010 06:01 PM

Hey Cute ~ do we need the book????

BKinCO 01-27-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Piedmont Quilter
Hey Cute ~ do we need the book????

I ordered mine, but it's not here yet :( It's killing me, I feel so lost but I know once I get it I'll have a much better handle on what's going on! I sure like looking at everyone's fabrics though!!!

fireworkslover 01-27-2010 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Esqmommy
Woo hoo... I found the ruler! I have both books already as I've been wanting to make one of these. I must've bought the ruler back when I got the books. Now, for the fabric...I understand it's actually good to have fabric with some movement in it, and to try and limit the number of colors. Not just two...but not 15 shades either. Is that true? Experts, your opinions please?

I've done a OBW w/ a fabric that had 16 colors and it worked fine. I think the key is to have the right print. This was a print with macaws, parrots, toucans and other tropical birds sitting in multi-green foliage. The birds are 2 - 3" tall. I made this for my 25 yr. old son, he loves it.

fireworkslover 01-27-2010 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by mjsylvstr
I'm really full of questions tonight...what is the repeat that is needed for theOBW?

Does it matter or would you just have a smaller block with a wmaller repeat. I do love this pattern but have never attempted it...so there will probably be more questions.

If you have a smaller repeat and you want to have lots of triangles to make your hexagons with, you might need more than 6 repeats, like 12. You'd also need more if you want to make a larger quilt. All the OBW's I've made were meant to be hung on a wall, so the finished size didn't matter so much. Plus, if you want to include some of the original print in your border, you need to plan for that and buy more.

Barb_MO 01-27-2010 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by obie2
Here's the 2nd choice.

Obie, I love both of these fabrics. Would you mind telling the manufacturer and where you purchases them?

bailey 01-27-2010 08:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK here is a picture (I hope) of the fabric I would like to use. It is a really large print and I think it will be nice for my son. I would like to add some color with the cubes. If you think this will work what size triangles do you recommend?

Thanks,
Bailey

cutebuns 01-27-2010 09:00 PM

The book helps. As a leader I have to recommend it.

cutebuns 01-27-2010 09:04 PM

I love that print. It is awesome. You can definitely cut that one bigger. I will take another look in the morning.