Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do hand pieced and hand quilted quilts last? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-hand-pieced-hand-quilted-quilts-last-t248926.html)

quiltingnd 06-23-2014 07:34 AM

do hand pieced and hand quilted quilts last?

As long as machine piece and quilted quilts?

KwiltyKahy 06-23-2014 07:40 AM

I firmly believe that machine stitching holds up better. I don't think that's a rationalization,LOL
I also believe that if our great great grandmothers had had sewing machines they would have used them, too.

Sewnoma 06-23-2014 07:43 AM

When I see old quilts that are falling apart, it's usually the fabric itself that has given way, not the stitches.

So I don't really know, but my guess is that the type & quality of the fabric and how the fabric was cared for over the years is what really determines how long it'll last, the quilting doesn't seem to be much of a factor.

Hinterland 06-23-2014 07:46 AM

I agree with Sewnoma. I have a hand sewn, hand quilted quilt on my bed. It was finished in 1998, and while the stitching is still intact, some of the fabric has worn away.

Janet

francie yuhas 06-23-2014 07:47 AM

I think they both last a long time; the variable is likely the quality of fabric used,how much UV light exposure,how often they are washed. Hand quilted quilts that are stitched 8 or 9 stitches per inch aren't a lot different from machine stitched. Another thought...my quilts are made to be used and loved. The quilts that stay on a shelf probably last longer.

quiltingnd 06-23-2014 07:52 AM

Even dumber question....do you still set the seams with an iron on hand piecing?

bearisgray 06-23-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd (Post 6770513)
Even dumber question....do you still set the seams with an iron on hand piecing?

To answer the original question - it depends. Some do. Some don't.

Now that I think about it - I do not set the seams as I go when I hand-piece.

When I hand piece, I usually just keep on sewing until the unit is done. Then I analyze when way the seams should go - finger press - and then press with an iron.

Annie Pearl 06-23-2014 09:03 AM

I have several feed sack quilts that my great grandmother hand pieced and quilted that are in great shape. They have been used and washed many times also. They were probably made in the 1930s.

ckcowl 06-23-2014 10:42 AM

As long as quality thread was used and good workmanship ...I've seen plenty of machine made quilts fall apart due to poor workmanship and cheap, weak thread. And, there are plenty of hand pieced, hand quilted quilts that have lasted for generations. Good quality materials and care determine more how something will hold up more than if it was made by machine or not

pw6 06-23-2014 11:27 AM

they are the same. I have hand quilted quilts that are over 25 years old and have not lost a stitch, but if you do not lock off machine stitching you will have a few lose ends over the years.. so I always back stitch or use the stitch lock off on my quilter, it is just much faster to machine quilt than it is to had quilt a quilt..