Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I or don't I -- making choices to reduce my SM herd! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-dont-i-making-choices-reduce-my-sm-herd-t75700.html)

BellaBoo 11-11-2010 09:44 AM

Oh, the bug really bit you! What a collection you have. When I first stated quilting it seemed I found old sewing machines everywhere from free to just a few dollars. Of course I couldn't pass them up. Soon I had 14 machines all in good working condition. I knew they had to go. What was I really going to do with them? I kept two in my car trunk and if anyone in conversation with me about sewing needed a machine or knew of someone that needed one. I popped my trunk and said take it. I gave the local 4H all the machines I had left. Now I can see a good machine at yard sale or thrift shop and admire it but I don't bring it home. It won't take but one and I'll be hooked again.

Baysidegal 11-11-2010 06:08 PM

I've been bitten (BADLY)...I'm trying to get DH to share in my love of SM's. He actually does love them (he can sew).
BUT..space is an issue. I wonder...If I cleaned out my only closet....hmmmmmmmm After all, how much clothing do we really need anyway....

julia58 11-11-2010 06:45 PM

I have one machine, a singer 401A, I will not give it up for anything. I have had the best of the best, and none of them can touch her. I still am waiting to find the right FW, she will find me I guess. But for the time being, my 401A has my full attention. Good luck finding new homes for your rescues.

wanderingcreek 11-11-2010 11:10 PM

I would love to find an old machine to sew on but any that I do find around here are way out of my price range. I learned to sew on a treadle and have always wanted one again.

twinkie 11-12-2010 02:33 AM

And I thought we were bad with 19 machines. It is very difficult for me to let these machines just sit by the wayside and "rot" so to speak. They need tender loving care and they need to be used. (My DH and I are thinking about moving out all the furniture in order to have a few more machines)

quiltmaker 11-12-2010 03:57 AM

You have my sympathy..... you obviously will have a very difficult time and I wish you luck. Must have taken you a very long time to acquire your collection so it probably will take awhile for you to figure out how to let go and when. One possiblity is listing some of them on here if you want to deal with shipping and all. Many people here would possibly love to help relieve you of them.

akrogirl 11-12-2010 06:36 AM

Oh no, how could you even begin to think of parting with your Necchi? :shock: I am still adding to my Necchi collection. See, I am no help, am I? ;-)

quilter68 11-12-2010 07:20 AM

Reply to Twinkie...Good idea but keep some sewing chairs.

I am looking for a treadle. I will keep looking until I find the right one.

jbj137 11-12-2010 09:39 AM

If you have an extra FW
send it my way. J J

desertrose 11-12-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sahm4605
have you ever thought of selling them to good homes? It would bring in money, and keep the bunnies from multiplying too fast. plus you could keep with your hobby of fixing and finding new machines. just have to start selling them. try ebay or maybe craigslist.

I agree totally and if you gave us fair notice as to when you might be posting them for sale they would be gone sooner than you could imagine.

Andie :lol: :lol: :lol: