Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I or don't I -- making choices to reduce my SM herd! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-dont-i-making-choices-reduce-my-sm-herd-t75700.html)

danade 11-12-2010 06:24 PM

Are you for real? 100 machines? You could start a store! I love the pink one in your ID--what is it? Oh, no--don't...let...me...near it!

Dana

smitty 11-12-2010 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight
I know the feeling. I will buy one fix it clean and polish. Then I set down to sew and Help, I love this one too. So few of them get sold. I do sell featherweights. I keep my three favorites and let go of the rest. Good luck in your endever.

I know, I just tried a green,Singer, 319 and fell in love with another machine ! this sews the fastest of any Singer I have tried. We had a shed built just to hold all the cabinets & treadles. the machine heads are in the workroom of my mechanic turned sewing machine guy. 53 and counting.

Honchey 11-12-2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by goaf1968
Two weeks ago I decided it was time to take seriously the "real" number of SMs I need around here. The decision was one of those "I need to lighten the herd," followed by "OMG ... where do I start!"

The decision-making process, for me anyway, is akin to standing at the edge of a forest and trying to decide which tree in the middle of it goes to the woodpile first.

My wife is the quilter and I am the one with the out-of-control hobby of finding machines and working on them so they sew again.

My wife's all-time favorite is her 1936 featherweight, so I know that one stays. I also have three treadles here that are for my wife and two daughters. There are two more treadles that I would like to keep for me, a badged Delaware and a badged Pennsylvania. I grew up in PA and now live in DE.

The hard part is looking at all these machines -- somewhere around 100 -- and[forcing] myself to let go. Yesterday was spent digging through my garage. I found a Singer 201 and a 15-91.
I also found a white and a Necchi Supernova. I think I can part with these machines, but there are many more to go before I head to the main stash in the basement... sigh.

If I were to make a suggestion to anyone who has been bitten by the old sewing machine bug it would be to get some salve on that bite before it spreads, else you are doomed to these beauties multiplying almost unabated!

P.S. Our goal is to move back to PA after our youngest graduates from college in 1-1/2 years. Can't take tons of SMs with me!

My favorite machine is, without a doubt, a singer 401A and the Singer 500. I did find out that it is much easier to do paper piecing on the FW -- wife made me try it -- than on the big guys!

I have a couple of vintage machines. The bug got me last year and If you have Singer 301 longbed and want to rehome her let me know. My sister lives in Magnolia, De and I visit her often. Anne (NJ)

goaf1968 11-13-2010 04:43 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I (had) a 301 black long-bed in the original carrying case about 5 months ago but it sold very quickly at a treadle sewing machine gathering I attended. Haven't seen one since. I believe I still have the folding table for it, though.

I certainly will let folks here know as I post the SMs on Craigslist, or wherever they eventually end up. Not only does it take time to do the culling, but also the time to go through those to be culled to make certain they are in ready-to-use condition.

I have given myself until next summer to have the selected ones gone from here. After that the stained glass area and everything associated with it will be next.

The pretty two-tone machine I use as my photo here is a badged machine -- can't remember the name but is a Japanese 1950's era piece of artwork and it is quite heavy. I'll go back and check it out and post the result here.

My voyage to the "garage abyss of sewing machines" found an old White treadle -- no machine -- and a Singer model 223. Didn't know I had this one LOL. I think there is a King Royal in a parlor cabinet that was converted from treadle to electric many decades ago and I think I have found the treadle mechanism to return it to its non-electric glory. The King sewing machines, by the way, were their own brand.

Terry -- still doing a daily search!

King Royal in parlor cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125380[/ATTACH]

King royal in parlor cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]125381[/ATTACH]

featherweight 11-13-2010 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by smitty

Originally Posted by featherweight
I know the feeling. I will buy one fix it clean and polish. Then I set down to sew and Help, I love this one too. So few of them get sold. I do sell featherweights. I keep my three favorites and let go of the rest. Good luck in your endever.

I know, I just tried a green,Singer, 319 and fell in love with another machine ! this sews the fastest of any Singer I have tried. We had a shed built just to hold all the cabinets & treadles. the machine heads are in the workroom of my mechanic turned sewing machine guy. 53 and counting.

I don't have that many. Just 9 vintage. My next one has to be a treadle...

irenecarter 11-13-2010 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by goaf1968
I (had) a 301 black long-bed in the original carrying case about 5 months ago but it sold very quickly at a treadle sewing machine gathering I attended. Haven't seen one since. I believe I still have the folding table for it, though.

I certainly will let folks here know as I post the SMs on Craigslist, or wherever they eventually end up. Not only does it take time to do the culling, but also the time to go through those to be culled to make certain they are in ready-to-use condition.

I have given myself until next summer to have the selected ones gone from here. After that the stained glass area and everything associated with it will be next.

The pretty two-tone machine I use as my photo here is a badged machine -- can't remember the name but is a Japanese 1950's era piece of artwork and it is quite heavy. I'll go back and check it out and post the result here.

My voyage to the "garage abyss of sewing machines" found an old White treadle -- no machine -- and a Singer model 223. Didn't know I had this one LOL. I think there is a King Royal in a parlor cabinet that was converted from treadle to electric many decades ago and I think I have found the treadle mechanism to return it to its non-electric glory. The King sewing machines, by the way, were their own brand.

Terry -- still doing a daily search!

Oh my gosh=love it. And I'm not a collector. I have a large commercial machine that a friend put together on a table that he made. My only problem the belt broke on it. I put it in a bag and tried to replace it, but unfortunately the bag got thrown away. Any idea on how to find a replacement.? It's a
singer I think. I have it stored at my Mom's and it hasn'r been used in 10 years.

goaf1968 11-14-2010 04:02 AM

Can you take a photo of the machine -- closeup and far away so as to see the entire setup. Also, there should be a serial number on the machine, which would be helpful to me. We can go from there.
Email me privately with the info/photos.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

goaf1968 11-14-2010 05:06 AM

Can you take a photo of the machine -- closeup and far away so as to see the entire setup. Also, there should be a serial number on the machine, which would be helpful to me. We can go from there.
Email me privately with the info/photos.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

P.S. The SM photo I have here is a Compac

merrylouw 11-14-2010 05:07 AM

Here's my suggestion, for what it's worth.

We downsized dramatically a few years ago so we could become full-time RVer's. We sold our home and most of our possessions so that we could enjoy this adventure. It was hard at first, but it became easier as we saw progress.

You know which machines you love the most. So, they're on a "do not sell" list. Then, pick one machine and sell it, on Craigslist or eBay or somewhere, maybe on here (there's lots of addicts here, too. LOL) Then sell two more. etc etc etc. Before you know it, you'll have your collection down to a movable size.

I know it's hard. But, imagine how much money you'll have, and how much less you'll have to move in a year and a half!!!

Take the money and go on a cruise to Alaska or something. You'll feel so much lighter!!!!!

Be sure and keep a picture of each of your babies, put them in a scrapbook and you'll have them forever.
Good luck, and pm me if you need encouragement.