Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do I Really Need an "Add a Quarter" Ruler? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-i-really-need-add-quarter-ruler-t194157.html)

calicojoan 07-11-2012 03:26 AM

I use mine all the time when paper piecing, but if your comfortable with a ruler. That rotary blade makes me nervous without it!

Wanabee Quiltin 07-11-2012 03:27 AM

I bought it for paper piecing, but I use it for so many things, I personally love mine.

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 07-11-2012 03:55 AM

I have a small one and a longer one and I wouldn't be without them.

jeanneb52 07-11-2012 04:37 AM

The seam allowances don't matter on PP as far I can see....you've already sewn the seam before you trim. The ruler is only neccesary to the seller. Profit. Ever notcie how many unnecessary tools are on that list???

Quilt-Till-U-Wilt 07-11-2012 04:46 AM

I guess I just love gadgets. I bought my rulers on line and got a great deal on them.

raptureready 07-11-2012 05:01 AM

When I'm paper piecing I think it makes it a whole lot easier. I'm sure that if you learn to paper piece and then do it all the time you'd get to the point that you wouldn't need it but when starting out or if you pp occasionally, it makes it much easier

Fabaddict 07-11-2012 05:22 AM

yes it is unnecessary, but very handy

Pieces2 07-11-2012 05:32 AM

I just use a ruler I already have, they have 1/4" marked,
matching the length of the ruler to what I am sewing.
No reason to buy another ruler when something you already have will work.

Joanne9of12 07-11-2012 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 5353882)
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

If you get one, you should know that they come in different lengths. I recommend the 12". 6" is often too small, and 18" seems way too big to me. 12" is just right (said Goldilocks).

I love my add-a quarter rulers. I actually have all three sizes because I do a fair amount of paper piecing, but the 12" ruler is the one I use the most. The 6" ruler works well for me when I'm working on very small units and the 18" ruler is great for when I'm putting large units together. I recently made an Amazon Star quilt (a Judy Niemeyer design) and the larger ruler was wonderful for sewing the final units together effortlessly.

I think these rulers are just like most other quilting/sewing notions. It is purely a matter of personal preference and I always suggest trying the notion first if possible before buying. I teach a number of classes, including beginners' classes and my first beginner's class involves no sewing machine. Students bring what rotary cutting supplies they own and learn those; or better yet, come and try the myriad of supplies I have and choose what they like best and then go an buy what they like. I once had two students who swapped cutters because they liked what the other had purchased. Everyone was happy! :-)

lovelyl 07-11-2012 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5352883)
Well, I guess I'm 'odd girl out'. I love my add a quarter ruler for paper piecing. The bottom isn't flat, the 1/4" part is a bit thicker so all you have to do is butt the edge of the raised portion against your folded back seam, cut then line up your next piece.

I agree - I love my add a quarter ruler! I have PP'd both ways, but am more accurate with the add a quarter. I also feel less like my rotary cutter could slip and cut me.