Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you actually USE your scraps?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-actually-use-your-scraps-t27818.html)

Debra Mc 10-30-2009 02:22 PM

Got a neat pattern for using scraps. If you would like PM me your address & I'll mail you a copy.

Loisrhunter 10-30-2009 02:36 PM

what is quilter's jam? Is is edible????

Olivia's Grammy 10-30-2009 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Thanks OG,

is it purely for decoration, or do you use the jam to make a bread quilt at some point?

You are to funny :lol: No I don't make bread, except for corn bread. I have these antique jelly jars so I filled several with "Quilters Jam."

quiltbible 10-30-2009 04:10 PM

i use mine. i just use most of my christmas scraps for a quilt backing. i didn't want to be more christmas fabric just for a back.

tea

Betty Ruth 10-30-2009 07:13 PM

I do use my scraps. Periodically, I iron out my scraps and cut them into useable shapes for scrap quilts. First, I cut 4 1/2 inch squares. Next, I cut pieces 2 1/2 inches by 6 1/2 inches. Last, I cut 2 1/2 in. squares. Anything too small for a 2 1/2 inch square goes in a special bin for a crumb quilt. Sometimes I will also cut 2 1/2 by 4 1/2 pieces. With pioeces already cut, it doesn't take long to put together. Right now, I'm putting together 9 patch blocks out of my 2 1/2 inch squares. I believe that next I'll make 4 patch blocks and team them with the 4 1/2 inch squares. The simple quilt patterns that can be made with these shapes are endless.

omak 10-30-2009 08:38 PM

Quilter's Jam! I get it!
Similar to what I did with the dog ears!
my antique canning jars are colored, so I think the colorful scraps would lose some of their beauty, but it is a fun idea for filling interesting jar shapes, to say the least!
THanks for sharing!

ScrapQuilter 10-30-2009 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple more of my scrap quilts.............
The first is a crazy square and the second is a strip quilt
both of these quilts were done on light weight interfacing.

ScrapQuilter 10-30-2009 09:19 PM

MadQuilter........... love your pattern will have to try it.

Scrap Quilter

Betty Ruth 10-31-2009 06:50 AM

I see that your crazy quilt squares are made with 4 smaller squares sewn together like a 4 patch. I make a solid block. Same difference, just fewer seams.
Your string quilt is beautiful I've never made a monochromatic string block. All mine are scrap blocks with different width strings and many, many colors.

busysewer 10-31-2009 09:05 AM

I use my scraps and have made quite a few crazy quilts, striing quilts and ones using a pattern. Right now I am 'cleaning out plastic boxes'. I have them sitting by my sewing table and just pull out fabric to see what I can do. If I work on just a lfew pieces especially crazy quilt blocks I don't get bored.

I don't really know what I would do without scraps.

busysewer in Ohio :roll: