Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you belong to a quilt guild? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-belong-quilt-guild-t42089.html)

mar32428 04-09-2010 03:16 AM

My ASG neighborhood group has several members who belong to a quilting group so we benefit from their knowledge. We do a variety of sewing projects but include a lot of quilting. Most of our group quilting is for Linus, Vets and local nursing homes and hospitals. Not always full sized ones. Lots of times we do table runners, place mats, laprobes for wheelchair patients etc. Not all our members have the need to do anything larger but it keeps their hand in.

cgroark 04-09-2010 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by HIBISCUS
Hi, Flor-heat-a, do you live close to jacksonville??? There are several guilds here, some meet daytime, one I think meets in the evening.

I live in Orange Park and would love to join a guild but I don't know how to go about it. Which one would you recommend?

tmg 04-09-2010 03:38 AM

I joined a guild in January of this year. the ladies and gentleman there don't mind you sharing there knowledge with you. We meet every Tuesday night and have an UFO the last Friday of the month. There is a day group that meets also. They even have workshops and small group sessions. It really feels like one big family. We do a service project every year. I'm still learning the working of the group. I feel good about it though.

Minda 04-09-2010 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by cgroark
I live in Orange Park and would love to join a guild but I don't know how to go about it. Which one would you recommend?

Ask the people at your LQS. They would probably be able to give you contact information for the local guilds.

Shelbie 04-09-2010 04:32 AM

Every guild is different and has its own "flavour". I belong to two guilds and both are very different but unique and interesting. My larger guild of 130 is more affluent and is able to afford more speakers while my smaller guild of 65 spends more time on hands on projects and round robin evenings of sharing tips and techniques. In both guilds, I have been privileged to meet wonderful, talented, caring women who are willing to share their skills, time and wisdom. As our guilds draw members from quite a large area, these are great people whom I would not have met in other places. I respect and appreciate all of them and have made many new friends and associates while learning so much. My advice - go and try out your local guild! We welcome visitors and have members assigned to show newcomers around.

BeverlyJo 04-09-2010 05:10 AM

I belong to a quilt guild and have learned so much from the other members. They also have lots of Fun Days and invite teachers in to teach some project. The Show and Tell each meeting is a great inspiration to me. I am a fairly new quilter and need all the help I can get.

BellaBoo 04-09-2010 05:20 AM

One thing I know for sure, keeping a guild interesting and current takes a lot of planning and highly motivated people to plan.

reginalovesfabric 04-09-2010 05:51 AM

I still work full time and the local guild meets on Wed morning so I can't go. But if the good Lord's willing I'll join once I retire if I can still drive then.

I did belong to a guild 45 minutes away, stay with them 5 years and was vice president for 4 years, I got tired of the drive.

reginalovesfabric 04-09-2010 05:51 AM

I still work full time and the local guild meets on Wed morning so I can't go. But if the good Lord's willing I'll join once I retire if I can still drive then.

I did belong to a guild 45 minutes away, stay with them 5 years and was vice president for 4 years, I got tired of the drive.

gramquilter2 04-09-2010 06:07 AM

I belong to 3 sewing/quilting groups. Many of the same people are in all 3 groups. They are all quite small and we have become pretty good friends that like to work together and chat while quilting. Everyone is willing to share and help out as others need it. Two of the groups give lessons on what the members have discussed. We have gone to quilt shops around the state as part of our meetings. I think belonging to a group is a good learning tool.