Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-design-your-quilts-share-your-tips-tricks-us-t69005.html)

craftybear 10-08-2010 07:44 AM

thanks for your information, never heard of Foundation Factory!

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I use EQ7 the most but I have Foundation Factory and several other quilt design programs. I use them all for different type quilts. Usually I'll design a block in one program and import it to EQ7 to design the quilt. Once you learn the programs it's fast and instant changes when you want to change a detail or the whole design.

cjtinkle 10-08-2010 07:50 AM

I design most of my quilts, or sometimes I'll see a pattern I like and modify it to suit my taste.

I use EQ7, and have been using it since V4 I think. I wouldn't quilt without it!

For me one of the best features is the ability to quickly and accurately design borders. I'm a mathematical idiot, I know it, and without EQ, I doubt I'd be making many quilts! :mrgreen:

Annaquilts 10-08-2010 07:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I do and for now just use graph paper. I also brain storm with DH. Unfortunately I do not write everything down in detail or keep the directions. So if I want to do a similar quilt I have to reinvent the wheel again. You'd think I learn!

Knowing some basic math and techniques is very helpful. Also I do not cut everything in the beginning. My quilts change and develop as I go, especially where it comes to color.

The quilt on the left and in the back are the last ones I designed. They now have borders and are waiting to be quilted. Quilt right DD 22 is making.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]111739[/ATTACH]

BellaBoo 10-08-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle
I design most of my quilts, or sometimes I'll see a pattern I like and modify it to suit my taste.

It's easy to modify a pattern to suit using the EQ programs. I like converting a block pattern to paper piecing. Usually just leaving out or adding to the block is all it takes to make it just what I wanted.

laureneberhard 10-08-2010 08:06 AM

EQ5-6-7

athenagwis 10-08-2010 10:27 AM

I use a good 'ole pencil and ruler. I just did one yesterday as a matter of fact where 1" on paper = 3" on fabric. Was pretty easy to do, I just draw it up what I want it to look like finished and the add seam allowances after.

Rachel

ckp11271 10-08-2010 10:36 AM

Graph paper and colored pencils mostly, but I've been known to use Excel or MS Paint when an idea strikes me while I'm at work.

wanderingcreek 10-08-2010 11:01 AM

I use graph paper but then I have mostly done my own designs for bargellos.

RkayD 10-08-2010 11:49 AM

I have EQ but most often use graph paper or sketch paper.

Quiltforme 10-08-2010 12:47 PM

I use graph paper and I did find a book that taught the basics of quilt design I really liked it gave me freedom to create. I use colored pencils and I love it. I have the EQ5 and well I honestly have no idea how to use it correctly.