Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you design your quilts? Share your Tips & Tricks with us (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-design-your-quilts-share-your-tips-tricks-us-t69005.html)

llong0233 10-10-2010 08:45 AM

Debbie, that ocean themed quilt with the turtle is absolutely beautiful. You captured the turtle beautifully. Did you design the quilt and the turtle?

JJs 10-10-2010 08:51 AM

graph paper and colored pencils, EQ, traditional squares...

or just make something up...

Melinda in Tulsa 10-10-2010 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by llong0233
I recently downloaded a free shareware quilt design program: Quilt Assistant. I haven't experimented with it much yet but I think it might do the trick for me at the moment. I prefer to design my own quilts/blocks and it can be done on this program. I doesn't have any fabrics stored as some of the way more expensive programs do. However, when I get going on this program I may take the time to copy and past fabric images on to a word document so I can use the "browse" feature insert fabrics I might want to use into the design. Anyway, for what its worth, there are alternatives to the pricier EQ7, etc. Foundation Factory is reasonably priced and you can demo it before you buy.

Where can we find *Quilt Assistant? Would love to have a link.
I have had Quilt Design Wizard by EQ for a couple of years but haven't played with it much.

adrianlee 10-10-2010 09:48 AM

Sketch book, for my applique projects. so does my sister when she does applique quilt blocks. It's more fun and it's "more you" than a store pattern or something off the Internet.

Annaquilts 10-10-2010 09:51 AM

I am a sucker for sea turtles. Very nice!

Originally Posted by applique
I trace photos. Easier for me than Corel or the other vector programs. Otherwise I use patterns and change or add to them.

Annz 10-10-2010 10:30 AM

I wish I was that talented.

Mailmanldy 10-10-2010 11:12 AM

I just did a quick search for Quilt Assistant, not sure if it is the same one that is mentioned, but it does state that it is NOT designed to be a cheap alternative to commercial software like EQ. What it is designed for is to turn photos into quilts and quickly draft quilt blocks or paper piecing patterns.

http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html

When I design a quilt, I use EQ. I started with version 5 and have 6 and 7 now. Once you learn how to use the program it is fast and fun to change blocks, colors, borders, sashing etc. You can even put your quilting designs on the blocks and change the color of the thread you want to use for that, to see what it would look like when youu are done.

I used EQ to help me plan out a quilt from blocks that I had started early in my quilting life and never finished. I wanted to see what different settings would look like, and what I would need to "add" to the quilt to get it to the size I wanted, with out adding more blocks since I didn't have any more of that fabric left, and couldn't get any more. I probably would have never finished that quilt if I had to try and do it all with out the aid of the computer.

hilda Vest 10-10-2010 11:13 AM

Quilters who design their quilts always suggest that I put my ideas on paper.
Keep a journal, in other words, for ideas.
I'm trying this, but still I am not where i want to be in terms of designing my quilts.
Actually, I think mine would be more interesting if I started to use more curves and circles.

schwanton 10-10-2010 12:19 PM

I design by both EQ and by graph paper. But even the quilts I design on EQ, I end up editing on graph paper. Old habits are hard to break! When using EQ, I like to pick a classic block and go to the worktable and "work on the block". Just by changing a line here, a curve there, makes an entirely new and original quilt square.

G'ma Kay 10-10-2010 12:24 PM

I start with a pattern, and then I change some of the details to suit my tastes, or the amount of fabric I have to use, or just because I can.