Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you double check before buying here? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-double-check-before-buying-here-t75903.html)

KiwiQuilter 11-12-2010 04:06 PM

I haven't purchased from here.

My purchasing decisions are researched, and I compare local prices (New Zealand) to US prices (including shipping) and a conservative exchange rate. At the moment it is "cheaper" to buy the same product direct from the US.

I don't tend to purchase very often, and when I do it is "in bulk" (which makes the shipping worthwhile).

Retail costs are pretty high here (approximately $30 per metre) - and that is way out of my price range. Gotta love a budget :)

Thanks to my awesome (retired) Mum, who gives me cash at my birthday to buy enough fabric (from the States) to make 1 quilt a year (which I hand quilt). I think she's absolutely fabulous! Yep - Love my Mum to bits :)

Riversong 11-12-2010 04:17 PM

I sell my items at what I consider a low price,compared to what I see in shops and on sites like etsy and e bay. I dont charge as much because the kind hearted folks on here have supplied me with a lot of my supplies,so Im mostly charging for labor.Im not trying to take advantage of anyone,and I dont really think anyone else is either. I havent ever bought books,but I give everyone the benefit of the doubt.We are all free to check and compare prices and buy or not. I love this forum,and considering how many members are here,I think its run very smoothly and fairly. Nice people here!!

featherweight 11-12-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.

Isn't all the shipping on Amazon $3.99??

pookie ookie 11-12-2010 04:21 PM

Haven't purchased anything off a message board since 2002. Have enough issues with amazon's outsourced customer service. Don't need to throw any old school board problems into the mix.

pookie ookie 11-12-2010 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by featherweight

There was a book on here for $10.00 plus shipping and I found it on Amazon for $.10 plus $3.99 shipping. So it does pay to check. I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.

No.

KiwiQuilter 11-12-2010 04:24 PM

No.

If you are an international purchaser - there are different pricing structures again.

featherweight 11-12-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie

No.

Well all the books I have bought on Amazon lately, last couple of months, have been $3.99 shipping.

sewingladydi 11-12-2010 05:10 PM

AnneT I agree with you. Unless you have unlimited funds, it would be foolish not to price check elsewhere before spending your hard earned dollars. That shouldn't offend anyone. Probably some folks post things without doing any research and don't realize they are overpriced. I've never purchased a book off the site because they have always been available elsewhere less expensively.

ptquilts 11-12-2010 05:14 PM

I have sold books on AMazon and it is very discouraging that the "value" of a book has little to do with the price. In other words, some great books go for 1 cent, no matter what the content. It's all about supply and demand.

gollytwo 11-12-2010 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by pookie ookie

I don't usually pay that much for shipping, but the book's price was right.

No.

Well all the books I have bought on Amazon lately, last couple of months, have been $3.99 shipping.

You pay no shipping in the States if your order is $25 or more