Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   do you ever design your quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-design-your-quilts-t185281.html)

gspsplease 04-07-2012 12:02 AM

I have "made it up as I went along" with a few quilts, not really intending to, as I find it much slower than actually following instructions! But things happen -- like my latest quilt which I had intended to do following a magazine pattern. I started out fine, made up about 12 of the 18 pinwheels required and then found they did not fit into the rows as per instructions. No wonder -- the instructions said to cut squares five and one quarter inch -- when I checked the internet for the magazine I found an error message that said 5x8" squares of each fabric! (If I had used my brain I should have thought that 5 and one quarter inch was a rather odd size to start with) So I had a choice either to scrap the work I had done so far, which I was enjoying, or continue somehow modifying the pattern. So I ended up with my own design. But I am a bit mathematically challenged, so don't use graph paper -- I cut everything full size out of newspaper to try various layouts -- fast and cheap and much more likely for me to be accurate.

lbmyway 04-07-2012 01:55 AM

Hi Jaciqitznok: I am a new quilter and have designed a variety of blocks. They are contemporary, but in 12" squares. I have pieced some, but realize when I finish this quilt I need to make the square 24" as the pieces to put together are very small. I love batiks, and am making a quilt using Bali Pops. When I finish machine piecing it, prior to my hand quilting it I will take a picture of it and try to post it. I never posted anything on the board so I hope this some out.
lbmyway

kristakz 04-07-2012 03:55 AM

I love designing my own quilts. When I started quilting, I would "reverse engineer" something I saw online that I liked. Work out the block sizes, and figure out how to put it together. Then I started taking inspiration from those, but coming up with something a little different. Recently, however, I have started designing my own. In fact, I just finsihed a pattern for one of my recent designs and put it up for sale on my blog.

Just Me... 04-07-2012 04:00 AM

I do. Constantly making quilts in my head and doodling.....I am working on my EQ skills. I get the blocks designed but haven't figured out how to get more than one of them in a quilt yet. I just need to spend more time on it....

barri1 04-07-2012 04:03 AM

I've only used one pattern, and that was the quilting fairy godmother.. I have a problem with using other people's designs.. I like to do a quilt from start to finish, and say I made it..
I have a graph paper pad that lives between my mattress, and head board.. I also tend to redesign my quilts as I go.. I get to parts that I look at, and decide I'm not in love with.. and change things..

ckcowl 04-07-2012 04:04 AM

very seldom do i ever use someone else's pattern- i may at times use a 'traditional' block- or incorporate an applique pattern into a quilt but 99.8% of the time my quilts are my own- i do not use EQ, I do sometimes use graph paper to help me keep things (in size) but generally what ever i sketch out has nothing to do with what becomes reality...other than sometimes i really do stay within a certain size. i start with fabrics i want to make a quilt out of---then start pulling fabrics to go with them and i start cutting & sewing my initial (vision- thoughts) are never what actually happens in the end- but i've never been unhappy with what does become :thumbup:

cheaha39 04-07-2012 04:06 AM

Some times I make scrappy squares for the fun of it, they are normally in several sizes and then I design a quilt so I can use them. Oh yes I may have to make a few more squares and/or add sashilng and borders.

BluegrassGurl 04-07-2012 04:06 AM

Funny you ask.... I am working on one now for my son's wedding. All on paper. Nothing elaborate....but still my design. We will see how it turns out. ;-)

coldquilter 04-07-2012 04:14 AM

I have done a few of my own as well. I always get ideas in my head and usually the struggle is to make them come out right in fabric from what I am thinking in my head. It's always fun to create from scratch.

Kat Sews 04-07-2012 05:58 AM

I followed a pattern a few times. Bored me to tears. What I like best is to look at odd pieces that other people discard and turn them into something beautiful. Just let the fabric "speak" to me.