Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: do you ever design your quilts?

Banned
    Blog Entries

do you ever design your quilts?

I don't mean take something you see and change it, but actually design it? In EQ, on graph paper, etc??

I have tons of quilts in the works, UFO's, PIG's you name it, but I also have a few that I have totally designed myself and lately after seeing what they want at the shows, etc, I have decided that I need to focus on making at least 1 quilt each year that is ALL my own original design! Even if I do not enter it anywhere, it really needs to be MINE....not Judy Neimeyer, or Carol Doak, or Atkinson designs, etc...but mine!
    AND not artsy either, something traditional with a modern flair maybe! Though I do artsy things in small forms!

Sounds like your inner designer is trying to get out! Let her out already!
    Come to Me and I will give you rest--Jesus.

I'm with you, Jacquie! I almost always design my own, usually in EQ. Mine tend to use traditional blocks with a twist, or two blocks combined in a different way. I just put together a PDF book of my designs that are waiting to be made into quilts. It's the part of quilting that I enjoy the most.

I say "Go for it!"

Blog Entries
    I've never been very good at following directions, so I design most of my little quilts myself. I just start in the middle and work out! After I get an idea, I use graph paper to work out the sizes of the pieces -- especially if I'm making a quilt for AAQI, which has to be 12" by 9" max. Sometimes I use a designer's pattern for inspiration, but usually veer off from it at some point!

Go for it!
    Reading, cooking, sewing in retirement! Heaven!
    I'm proud to say that I'm a member of the Quilt A Month Club for the Alzheimer's Art Quilt Initiative! www.alzquilts.org
    I have a blog on QB now -- please drop in!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LyndaOH View Post
    I'm with you, Jacquie! I almost always design my own, usually in EQ. Mine tend to use traditional blocks with a twist, or two blocks combined in a different way. I just put together a PDF book of my designs that are waiting to be made into quilts. It's the part of quilting that I enjoy the most.

I say "Go for it!"
    ooohhh...never thought of making a PDF booklet of my designs...think I need to do that...

I've designed several and I'm working on publishing a few of them.

Yes, I do all the time. They are nothing spectacular but I do enjoy the process.
    Anna Quilts

Blog Entries
    I often design my own too. I have one in the works right now that I am designing around some fabric with ladies on it that I really fell in love with. I also do make quilts from some more traditional designs, but I find I like something a little "different" most of the time.
    Wendy

I've never used anything but my own designs, no patterns, even when all I was making was traditional quilts. It's much more satisfying for me that way.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

About 25 years ago I designed a baby quilt for a cousin's daughter. I wanted her to have a quilt that represented a part of her life she would not remember. My cousin and his wife were living in Holland for most of the pregnancy and came back to California just before she was born. I found some marvelous farm animal material and wanted to make a quilt with pinwheels representing windmills and use this fabric as the focus. so I took out graph paper and labored over a design. It really came out very cute. I see it when we visit my cousin and family, who now all permanently live in Europe and I am always tickled to see it. I just need to remember to take a picture of it!
    Lynne

I have "made it up as I went along" with a few quilts, not really intending to, as I find it much slower than actually following instructions! But things happen -- like my latest quilt which I had intended to do following a magazine pattern. I started out fine, made up about 12 of the 18 pinwheels required and then found they did not fit into the rows as per instructions. No wonder -- the instructions said to cut squares five and one quarter inch -- when I checked the internet for the magazine I found an error message that said 5x8" squares of each fabric! (If I had used my brain I should have thought that 5 and one quarter inch was a rather odd size to start with) So I had a choice either to scrap the work I had done so far, which I was enjoying, or continue somehow modifying the pattern. So I ended up with my own design. But I am a bit mathematically challenged, so don't use graph paper -- I cut everything full size out of newspaper to try various layouts -- fast and cheap and much more likely for me to be accurate.

Hi Jaciqitznok: I am a new quilter and have designed a variety of blocks. They are contemporary, but in 12" squares. I have pieced some, but realize when I finish this quilt I need to make the square 24" as the pieces to put together are very small. I love batiks, and am making a quilt using Bali Pops. When I finish machine piecing it, prior to my hand quilting it I will take a picture of it and try to post it. I never posted anything on the board so I hope this some out.
    lbmyway

I love designing my own quilts. When I started quilting, I would "reverse engineer" something I saw online that I liked. Work out the block sizes, and figure out how to put it together. Then I started taking inspiration from those, but coming up with something a little different. Recently, however, I have started designing my own. In fact, I just finsihed a pattern for one of my recent designs and put it up for sale on my blog.

I do. Constantly making quilts in my head and doodling.....I am working on my EQ skills. I get the blocks designed but haven't figured out how to get more than one of them in a quilt yet. I just need to spend more time on it....
    http://www.appalachianquilts.blogspot.com
    http://www.quiltweb.net

I've only used one pattern, and that was the quilting fairy godmother.. I have a problem with using other people's designs.. I like to do a quilt from start to finish, and say I made it..
    I have a graph paper pad that lives between my mattress, and head board.. I also tend to redesign my quilts as I go.. I get to parts that I look at, and decide I'm not in love with.. and change things..

Blog Entries
    very seldom do i ever use someone else's pattern- i may at times use a 'traditional' block- or incorporate an applique pattern into a quilt but 99.8% of the time my quilts are my own- i do not use EQ, I do sometimes use graph paper to help me keep things (in size) but generally what ever i sketch out has nothing to do with what becomes reality...other than sometimes i really do stay within a certain size. i start with fabrics i want to make a quilt out of---then start pulling fabrics to go with them and i start cutting & sewing my initial (vision- thoughts) are never what actually happens in the end- but i've never been unhappy with what does become
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Some times I make scrappy squares for the fun of it, they are normally in several sizes and then I design a quilt so I can use them. Oh yes I may have to make a few more squares and/or add sashilng and borders.
    With quilters for friends, I will always be warm.

Blog Entries
    Funny you ask.... I am working on one now for my son's wedding. All on paper. Nothing elaborate....but still my design. We will see how it turns out. ;-)

I have done a few of my own as well. I always get ideas in my head and usually the struggle is to make them come out right in fabric from what I am thinking in my head. It's always fun to create from scratch.
    Michelle

I followed a pattern a few times. Bored me to tears. What I like best is to look at odd pieces that other people discard and turn them into something beautiful. Just let the fabric "speak" to me.

I designed one for my grandson who wanted specific things (age 6). He wanted it to be black, gold, and silver with a little blue and wanted dogs and cats in the quilt. In this case it was almost easier to make up my own design to make sure he got what he wanted.

Am working on one now. Traditional blocks which I converted to paper pieced versions on my own. Adding design elements as I go. I guess the first steps to completely designing my own.

I frequently design my own quilts either using old blocks or playing. I usually have to use graph paper since EQ does not like the quilts that I design and I get tired of fighting it.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I design my own applique baby quilts. I used to have an internet sight that shared how to make applique quilts. I didn't feel that I could put someone else designs on my site, so I started to design my own. I have put a few my patterns on craftsy.

Blog Entries
    Just a beginner, so I start with a pattern. However, for all three quilts I've worked on I find that I preview them on the bed they'll end up on and need to "add" to the pattern, whether it's more blocks or adding borders so it will
    "drape" over the sides / ends better and hide the mattress. Some day I hope to design the whole quilt myself!
    Mavis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast