Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: do you ever design your quilts?

I design many of my quilts... but sometimes I just want it easy and buy a pattern. I like graph paper and doodle sometimes while watching TV... but sometimes I use EQ ... it just depends on my mood.

I also design many of my quilts. I use graph paper, a pencil, and a ruler. In fact, I've bought so much graph paper in the past few years that I've pretty much kept the industry going and sent all of their kids to college!

I love the designing process and feel proud when I see the fruits of my labor in a finished quilt that looks like no other one on earth.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Jacquie, absolutely, you can design anything you like. I find quilting an excellent outlet for all my crazy creative thoughts, some turn out okay, others not so much. Do it, give it a whirl, then post your results so we can applaud your creativity!

Nope. I'm afraid I find I am a pattern follower. I might change something a bit, but the overall pattern has been designed by someone else.

I have designed two on my own. But both designs incorporated blocks that I either had to have a pattern for or have been around so long they are considered public domain. One was a mariner's compass and I used a pattern for one by Judy Matehison and the raw idea for the quilt I used one of the pictures in book, although mine looked nothing like the picture when done. The picture was the seed that started the idea. The other I built around a panel and incorporated traditional Log cabin blocks. Granted I did not need a pattern for the LC and they have been around for so long it doesn't take any stretch of the imagination to put one together with no pattern. I did draft it out on graph paper before sewing though. The other block in this design was also based on a picture I saw but with no measurements or anything so I drafted my own block based on that picture. So I'm not sure if either of these truly qualify as designing my own quilt in that I didn't invent a block out of thin air and didn't have some kind of vision for a quilt. I took inspiration from other sources.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2