Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever have a jinxed project? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-have-jinxed-project-t146195.html)

ChildoftheUniverse 08-20-2011 06:12 AM

I feel your pain! 30 blocks like this would be a daunting task for me... let us know how it goes for you!

ScrappyAZ 08-20-2011 06:17 AM

I was given an applique kit for a wall hanging. I decided to make it for my aunt, and I worked on it for two months. From the beginning, the instructions didn't seem quite right, but I diligently followed the instructions. The end result was horrible. The instructions said to bind the quilt before doing the hand quilting, which resulted in puckers throughout the quilt. I thought about taking the binding out, but the instructions said to bind using the birthing method (which I will NEVER do again) so I wasn't able to do that.

Fortunately, I was able to make my aunt another wall hanging, but now I have an ugly puckered up wall hanging. My goal for this year is to repurpose/reuse instead of filling up the trash with more trash, but I am at a complete loss as to how to repurpose this project. Any ideas??

kaykwilts 08-20-2011 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
our local landfill is decorated by my jinxed projects. :lol:

oh you are braver than I am....I keep my 'jinxed' projects hidden in a drawer. I would die of embarrassment if the garbage man was so stunned by my jinxes that he refused to pick up my trash!! :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops:

You know what....I just remembered that I have several blocks from my husbands' grandmother that don't lay flat....I feel so guilty 'cause every time I look at them all I can think about is taking them apart...or throwing them out...I need to stop that!!

annesthreads 08-20-2011 06:47 AM

Well, I started the second block this afternoon, and for a while thought I was going to be telling you that I'm winning. I made all 4 sections with "only" 2 mistakes - I thought. Then I came to sew them together and discovered that somehow one of the star points has been lopped off beyond the 1/4in mark. And that's after really taking my time and concentrating. Unbelievable. I'm now going to walk away and have a nice restorative cup of tea and come back to this tomorrow. Think I'd better dig out a ufo to give me something else to do - I'm going to have to take this one VERY slowly. I'm already sick of it and I haven't even finished the 2nd block :thumbdown: But it will look fantastic if I can ever do it, so I'll persevere for now.

klutzyquilter 08-20-2011 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
Yep! I'm working on one now .......... so now we're in the 1/8" seam allowance territory. I HOPE.

This thing is about to become a dog blanket. I'll send my college-bound niece a box of microwave popcorn and a check.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

grammysharon 08-20-2011 07:37 AM

I know how you feel. I am working on a Frank LLoyd Wright wall hanging for my DDIL and I am going crazy since even with my quarter " foot I can't sew a perfect 1/4" seam. This has lots of pieces with 1/4" (cut @ 3/4") black strips between the pieces. I want to scream. Will post my wonky wall hanging when finished but it is definitely not my best work!!! :oops: :oops:

annesthreads 08-20-2011 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by klutzyquilter

Originally Posted by JulieR
Yep! I'm working on one now .......... so now we're in the 1/8" seam allowance territory. I HOPE.

This thing is about to become a dog blanket. I'll send my college-bound niece a box of microwave popcorn and a check.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I may have to buy a dog....

Zoe 08-20-2011 08:05 AM

Your reply has made my day :lol: I find that if I am sewing a quilt for someone else, it seems to go wrong. Maybe it's the added pressure I put on myself. I realized some years back when a close friend who has never quilted wanted me to make a quilt for her granddaughter. She wanted twenty-four squares of the Dresden Plate pattern that meant lots of handwork. She also wanted the squares to be twenty inches each. I thought then ohmyGod! When I gently suggested to her that I knew of two young women who sew and quilt for extra money and both of whom are excellent, my friend replied "I'm not paying for this!" That cured me and I need to remember--sew and quilt because I love to not because I have to. :D

annesthreads 08-20-2011 08:55 AM

Today's block is now finished, with only 1 more small mishap. I've now turned with a sigh of relief to a ufo -at least I might make some more progress with those!

macygma 08-20-2011 09:33 AM

I think I may in the midst of one - 'Nake Quilt for my grandson. I keep trying to work on it but it just isn't "getting it". He'll be three on 9/17 but it sure won't be done by then (probably!) :roll: