Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever keep quilts made for other people? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-keep-quilts-made-other-people-t39012.html)

HisPatchwork 03-11-2010 08:39 AM

I usually find myself wanting to keep them. Originally I thought of making an extra block using the fabrics. Then I could put them together, but that did not happen.

krlowe 03-11-2010 09:28 AM

I usually end up doing with it what I intended to do with it. Although, recently I made a couple of quilts that I thought I might try and sell and my daughter wanted them. She is 15 and loves quilts. I'm not having any luck trying to get her to quilt. So I guess she'll just keep taking mine. Which I kind of actually like.

MadQuilter 03-11-2010 11:05 AM

If I care enough about someone to make them a quilt, then a pattern/color will tell me what to do. Once done, it goes to the recipient. It will either go with a "thank Hanna, this project is done" - "this was fun but once is enough" or "Hm, I'll definitely want to do that pattern again."

judithb 03-11-2010 03:13 PM

I like to make them, hang them on a display rack and if someone special likes it gift it to them later. I found that if i offer it to them at that time, they always decline, (oh no I can't take that!). what fun that is for me when they receive it! If I make it especially for us, I keep it!
I would say, keep the quilt and make the baby another. No one, but us will ever know!!

moreland 03-11-2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kathy N
Consider it a practice quilt and keep it. But then follow through and make him a different one!

good advise!

pittsburgpam 03-11-2010 07:26 PM

I have a huge finished quilt top that is really nice but it was made for a man that is no longer in my life.

I don't believe that I will be giving it to him. He didn't appreciate any other gifts I gave him anyway. :P

judithb 03-11-2010 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I have a huge finished quilt top that is really nice but it was made for a man that is no longer in my life.

I don't believe that I will be giving it to him. He didn't appreciate any other gifts I gave him anyway. :P

Aren't you blessed that you found out before you gave it to him!

Pamela Artman 03-11-2010 07:40 PM

This happened to me. I made a whole cloth shadow trapunto baby quilt and it was sooo pretty. I kept thinking of two things... one, I wanted to teach a class for this and having this "sample" would be a good idea. And two, I have made baby quilts (all hand quilted) for all 7 grandchildren on my husband's side, and his DD and DIL never react like they love the quilts or appreciate them. Example: my husband's daughter asked if I would make a "cars" twin sized quilt for her 4 yr old if she bought the fabric or I could buy it and she would pay me back. I made it, and a matching pillow case, mailed it, emailed her the cost of materials, and she never mentioned it. Never paid me, never told me she got it, never thanked me, never said if he liked it or not, etc. So, I kept the baby quilt that I loved and made another one for the new baby, and hand quilted it! I tried not to be resentful, (not the baby's fault) but it's hard to put so much work into quilts that are not appreciated.

bstanbro 03-11-2010 07:59 PM

I haven't, but I've been tempted.

tkhooper 03-12-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by bstanbro
I haven't, but I've been tempted.

The quilt histories and the pictures are life savers. They get the quilts where they need to go.