Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-look-your-clothes-think-fabric-stash-enhancing-t34140.html)

Ninnie 01-15-2010 06:18 PM

I cut up a pair of DH's lounge pants once, they were just the right shade of blue that i was looking for. LOL

vicki75 01-15-2010 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ToucanSam

Originally Posted by vicki75
Actually I just made a quilt out of old jeans. My dad requested a quilt made out of old jeans so I did it for him. I mixed the denim with bright batiks. It turned out pretty cool.

That sounds really cool! Can you post a pic? :)

I will...I have to get some pictures of it when I visit my dad at the end of this month. Can you believe I forgot to take pictures! I was so frustrated with the thing by the end I totally forgot.

Lyn 01-16-2010 08:50 AM

I have. Use the buttons too.

Ramona Byrd 01-16-2010 09:09 AM

As for using your husband's old shirts, that reminds me of some of
my own, late husband's favorite Hawaiian shirts. Brilliant and, truthfully,
too loud to wear anywhere except when visiting Hawaii.

After he died and I was cleaning out his closet, I made a baby quilt for
a great grandchild with them. Bright, cheerful and usable for many years.
Just the thing for the child to be told he had a nice Grandpa.

hulahoop1 01-16-2010 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
As for using your husband's old shirts, that reminds me of some of
my own, late husband's favorite Hawaiian shirts. Brilliant and, truthfully,
too loud to wear anywhere except when visiting Hawaii.

After he died and I was cleaning out his closet, I made a baby quilt for
a great grandchild with them. Bright, cheerful and usable for many years.
Just the thing for the child to be told he had a nice Grandpa.

I save my husband's aloha shirts after quickly taking them apart before he fishes them back out of the rag bag. Lisa Boyer has some great patterns using Hawaiian fabric.

CasaManana 01-16-2010 09:23 AM

I've done it. And not just to my own clothes. I fairly regularly visit the Goodwill Thrift stores for fabric. Example, for Christmas most of the girls on my list got billfolds made from really scrumptious suede fabric. What they don't know is that I bought a dress and matching jacket at Goodwill.

nana2 01-16-2010 10:52 AM

It seems that my size keeps edging up, so instead of giving my silk blouses to goodwill, I use them to do crazy patch quilt squares.

Snappy 01-16-2010 03:02 PM

I saved all my mom's shirts when she passed and I am now using them to make quillows for all her grandchildren.

QUILTIN LADY 01-16-2010 03:53 PM

that all i use to used were dresses and shirts to me it makes good quilts fer the winter

connecticut quilter 01-16-2010 04:37 PM

My daughter took all her father in laws shirts after he passed away and had me help her make a King size quilt for her mother in law. She gave it to her for christmas.