Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you ever look at your clothes and think 'FABRIC', as in stash enhancing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-ever-look-your-clothes-think-fabric-stash-enhancing-t34140.html)

ToucanSam 01-14-2010 03:31 PM

I was looking at some of my clothes the other day thinking I need to get the scissors after them!

Those Dr. Seuss flannel pj's that I don't wear, for example........

:?

Ditter43 01-14-2010 03:38 PM

I have done it!! I even bought a few really big mens shirts at a thrift store and took them apart to use.I say if you don't wear it and you can use it in your quilting...go for it!!

Ditter

LucyInTheSky 01-14-2010 03:43 PM

All the time. Well, usually it's "I have fabric that matches that"

MistyMarie 01-14-2010 03:45 PM

I used to think I would use some of my husband's old cowboy shirts in a quilt, but now I am glad I got rid of them because I don't want him finding them again and thinking he could still get some life out of them!

NorBanaquilts 01-14-2010 04:57 PM

I have put clothes that I no longer wear in my stash and I've purchased clothes from thrift stores because I liked the fabric. Our thrift store sell a brown grocery bag of clothes for $3, that can be a lot of fabric

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ditter43
I have done it!! I even bought a few really big mens shirts at a thrift store and took them apart to use.I say if you don't wear it and you can use it in your quilting...go for it!!

Ditter

I too look at mens shirts.

Twisted Quilter 01-14-2010 05:32 PM

My sister passed away in July, and today I was clearing out her closet. I was thinking fabric and buttons with each piece I bagged for the Salvation Army. The only thing that kept me from getting my scissors out was that most still had tags on them. :(

vicki75 01-14-2010 06:04 PM

Actually I just made a quilt out of old jeans. My dad requested a quilt made out of old jeans so I did it for him. I mixed the denim with bright batiks. It turned out pretty cool.

ToucanSam 01-14-2010 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by vicki75
Actually I just made a quilt out of old jeans. My dad requested a quilt made out of old jeans so I did it for him. I mixed the denim with bright batiks. It turned out pretty cool.

That sounds really cool! Can you post a pic? :)

cabbagepatchkid 01-14-2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter
My sister passed away in July, and today I was clearing out her closet. I was thinking fabric and buttons with each piece I bagged for the Salvation Army. The only thing that kept me from getting my scissors out was that most still had tags on them. :(

I'm so very sorry for your loss :-( Cleaning out the closet must have been a difficult job.

Today I was at the dentist and the hygienist was wearing a shirt (you know the kind of shirt that nurses wear now-a-days with all of the cute "I Spy" patterns) and when I saw it I immediately thought "Wow! I love that fabric for my "I Spy quilts!!" :-D