Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you find it difficult to stick to sewing one thing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-find-difficult-stick-sewing-one-thing-t230490.html)

GrannieAnnie 09-18-2013 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6300579)
I tell myself I'm going to buckle down and just make baby quilts but then I get the urge to make a simple potholder or a cute little baby outfit or fall in love with a cloth doll pattern and my buckling just doesn't happen.

In order to "find your passion" you're supposed to stick to one thing so why can't I do that? Or can I just say sewing is my passion, no matter what I sew?

What type of sewer* do you see in yourself?

*I hate how that reads like soo er.

And to the "one passion", I have one passion--------------------handiwork-------------all sorts of fabric and yarn work.

grammy Dwynn 09-18-2013 05:58 AM

hahaha ONLY one thing at a time?!? I will admit, I try, really I do ... but sometimes, boredom, family request for mending or a special sewing project, or a deadline for a another (BOM, exchange or a baby's birth). Things get side-tracked, so be it. One of these days I WILL get to those UFO's that got put to a back burner. And those on my bucket list ... in time I might get to them.

mighty 09-18-2013 07:07 AM

I am one of those people who has to finish before I can start a new project.

CrazyQuiltBunny 09-18-2013 07:25 AM

There have been times when I've gone through "streamlining" phases, even going so far as to make myself a list of my main creative areas and giving away the stuff for extraneous ones. I'm not talking just quilting here, either. I have a zillion creative interests. :o And I'm not getting any younger, so there is a sense of pressure to use my time doing the things I'm going to get the most satisfaction out of.

That said, though, I think having a large variety of creative outlets sometimes just goes with the territory of being a creative person! Certainly I don't think we should feel ashamed of it. If it becomes confusing for us, then we might do some prioritizing. But don't worry about what some imaginary "shoulds" say - we're all creative in our individual ways. For some people who are very focused, it works to specialize, but for others, that may take the fun out of it. I'm a firm believer that being creative should generally be fun, else why do it?

The one thing I tried and ended up really disliking was scrapbooking. Cardmaking was okay, but I had trouble sorting through all my pictures and supplies, and planning pages - so I decided not to pursue scrapbooking. Fortunately, I like doing mixed media art so I can use up the paper supplies that way. Plus I gave away some that I knew I really wouldn't use.

That's one thing I do - if I can't use a supply, I "bless" someone else - or at least the thrift store - with it. :thumbup:

QuiltNama 09-18-2013 07:38 AM

One at a time...what's that?!!!! Right now I'm working on some placemats, 3 baby quilts, a border on a very large king size quilt for Christmas, a summer porch from a fat quarter pack on the design wall, and a new pattern design. I enjoy every minute of it as it's all my passion...

cashs_mom 09-18-2013 08:35 AM

I'm very ADHD about doing stuff. Unless I "have" to do a certain thing for a gift or other occasion. I just enjoy my sewing time. I do what I feel like, when I feel like it. If I don't ever finish something, maybe it wasn't meant to be finished. Who knows? I sew and quilt because they are enjoyable so I believe in enjoying it and not forcing myself to do certain things because "they" (the mysterious "they") say I should. Getting rid of all the should's that I can in life has made it much more enjoyable :D

crafty pat 09-18-2013 08:44 AM

I could never just make one thing, I always have all kinds of things going at the same time. When I get bored with one I jump to another for awhile. Now I have two quilts, dresses for my DGD and a painting going and I am really into a good book.

Neesie 09-18-2013 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 (Post 6300579)
I tell myself I'm going to buckle down and just make baby quilts but then I get the urge to make a simple potholder or a cute little baby outfit or fall in love with a cloth doll pattern and my buckling just doesn't happen.

In order to "find your passion" you're supposed to stick to one thing so why can't I do that? Or can I just say sewing is my passion, no matter what I sew?

What type of sewer* do you see in yourself?

*I hate how that reads like soo er.

When I feel a really strong urge to do something, I usually go with it, with the belief that there's a reason behind it. Sooner or later, the reason will show itself . . . sometimes in the most unexpected way!

Silvia75 09-18-2013 11:19 AM

I am in the minority who feel I must finish one project before I can start another. I guess I am scared I'll put it away and not finish it or I get so immersed in a project I can only think about one at a time. Oh yeah, and I'm a little OCD, control freak type so go figure. I say embrace your personality! If working on more than one project is what you need to do, go for it!

GrammaNan 09-18-2013 11:32 AM

Bouncing around from project to project is the only way I can stay sane when quilting. I usually have a quilt top a baby quilt and or a pot holder going at the same time. If I stick to only one project I guarantee you that I won't finish it.