Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you hand, machine or send out your quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-hand-machine-send-out-your-quilt-t23777.html)

Pam in WV 08-05-2009 08:58 AM

Hand quilter here. I have never learned to quilt any other way, and that's OK. Lot's of enjoyment in it.

mpspeedy 08-05-2009 09:33 AM

I am basically only a handquilter. I do machine quilt small quilts like Linus that will go to children or relatives that don't know how to care for handwork.
I have sent one kingsize quilt to a longarmer. Orginally I was going to have her baste it for me and then do the handquilting myself. When I decided to give it to my step-daughter for her 20th anniversary I had it longarmed. It cost me $165. I still have to bind it. I know my step-daughter will wash it to death. I was not willing to put more than a month's worth of handwork into it for that reason.

gramqlts 08-05-2009 09:37 AM

I machine quilt baby quilts, throw size and twin size, also wall hangings. Hand quilt almost anything. I'm a stab stitcher quilter also by the way. Most full or larger I have a lady in our quilt guild machine quilt as she has long arm quilting machine and does fabulous work. And her prices are pretty reasonable and even supplies batting if we want at reasonable price as she buys it by the large roll.

Jim's Gem 08-05-2009 10:10 AM

I machine quilt on my own regular size sewing machine. Around here it is pretty expensive and quite the wait to have it quilted by someone with a long arm. I'd rather spend my money on more fabrics!!!!
I do have one that I may send out, it is a queen size flannel, not sure my shoulders can handle that one.

sewmuch 08-05-2009 10:16 AM

So many handquilters here, I have never attempted handquilting. I do SID on small things and big quilts are done by a long arm quilter.

Ninnie 08-05-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by collettakay
Hand-quilter here. I love the relaxation it gives me. Nothing quite like the rocking motion of a needle and thread going through a beautiful fabric.

This is exactly how I feel!
I love sitting at my quilting frame and quilting away the hours. I love using all kinds of stencils and making pretty patterns on the quilt. there are times when I wish I could machine quilt on gifts and charity work so it would go faster and will probably learn to in the future, but will never stop being a hand quilter! :D

kluedesigns 08-05-2009 11:35 AM

i typically machine quilt and then i do hand stitched embellishments.

thismomquilts 08-05-2009 12:26 PM

I have handed quilted all but one of my quilts - and that one was a SMALL wall hanging. I'd love to have a frame and machine and stitch regulator - maybe one day (big sigh!)

motomom 08-05-2009 12:33 PM

I hand quilt. I enjoy doing it so much that I can't bear to send one out and deny myself the pleasure of hand quilting it. :roll:

genghis khan 08-05-2009 01:35 PM

I do all my own quilting on a home machine. I have done SID as well as custom quilting for the projects i have done thus far. I practice alot with FM and wouldnt be afraid to try quilting any design into something and the future of quilting my own looks good for me all of the tops i have done are queen sized and smaller. Chris