Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you hand quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-hand-quilt-t40777.html)

sewcrafty 03-26-2010 04:42 PM

I love to hand-quilt! Its very relaxing.

When I started out I used the Tiger Tape for 9 per inch. I drew straight lines on a sandwich and taped it off. After doing a few rows you sort of get into the rythym. Then I just started drawing out curves and such and did them. I always use betweens and hand quilting thread.

Be careful of how much bees wax you put on your thread. In this case, more is definitely not better!!!! Leaves little clumps on the top!! Found this out real quick!! :oops: :lol: Tried the stab stitch and didn't like doing it. Too cumbersome!! For me it wasn't as relaxing.

sewingladydi 03-26-2010 05:00 PM

I both hand and machine quilt.
Hand quilting is relaxing and beautiful. I've found that quilting on the bias,(rather then along the lengthwise or crosswise grain)seems easier. The type of batting you use also impacts your hand quilting. When I hand quilt, I prefer wool, but I've heard silk is wonderful. But silk is far too pricey for me.

mtnmama 03-26-2010 05:12 PM

I love to hand quilt also. My first quilt class was "Learn to Make Quilts Like Your Grandmother Did". It was hand piecing and hand quilting. I use a hoop, cotton "hand quilting" thread. Between needles size 10, large eye if I can find them since the thread is thicker. I think the goal is to practice and get your stitches a consistent size, don't worry about getting umpteen per inch, who is counting? Once your stitches get to be a consistent size, then you can work on many per inch, if that is important to you. I have tried all kinds of thimbles and can't use any of them. It takes a long time for me to complete a project but I feel I have more control over my quilting(over machine quilting) I'm practicing machine quilting with my BSR attachment! I still have a lot more practice to do! YIKES!

Ninnie 03-26-2010 05:12 PM

I am a hand quilter and have been for thelast 13 years. I love sitting and deciding on stencils, what to quilt. It is very relaxing to me.

renee765 03-26-2010 05:17 PM

[quote=craftybear]What is a finger cot??

Craftybear

A finger cot is like a condom for a finger. It helps with gripping the needle to get a better hold on it, and also helps to prevent the needle from punching holes in the tip of your finger (although not as much as a thimble does). I buy finger cots at Walgreens near the bandages. They come in a small box.

JanetM 03-26-2010 05:23 PM

I am not able to do hand quilting. I've had Carpal Tunnel surgery on both hands, but still have hand problems.

It is a challenge for me to hand stitch the binding on the back of a quilt. I do really admire those people who hand quilt though.

butterflyquilter 03-26-2010 08:52 PM

I hand quilt but I can't get the hang of thimbles or cots so I put clear nail polish (several thick coats) on my thumb and finger to give them a protective coat so they don't get sore.

CAROLJ 03-26-2010 09:06 PM

I tried using conventional thimbles but I would change fingers and stab that one. I now use a leather thimble or my favorite, Curad adhesive bandages. I wear them on serval fingers, they grip and protect my finger tips a bit. I forget I have them on and people always ask what I have done to myself. I'll try the clear nail polish tip, I usually have that in the house.

I know I should change out my needle once it bends, but I like working with a bent needle, it's like having a pair of well broken in shoes to work in!

Gal 03-27-2010 12:51 AM

Wonderful tips once again ladies, boy have I learnt a thing or two since I joined this site!!!!
I quilted my entire quilt with waxed quilting thread and No8 betweens needles. I struggled with the thimble on my index finger, and ended up putting it on every other finger than the one it was need on!! In the end I took it off! I used the nail on my thumb to push the needle through it is very strong and I had no trouble, however I was quilting away from me instead of towards myself, I realise that now since I watched a lady on Utube! I bought another thimble the other day and am going to try to teach myself the rocking method on my next quilt as I think I will get a much more even and straight stitch doing it the correct way! I know I have to work at it but I am hooked on the hand quilting bit, I wish I had started making quilts years ago!!!

Gal

stchn4livn 03-27-2010 04:00 AM

I do both. I read when I was first learning to hand quilt to leave the thimble on your finger for several days until you forget its there. That worked for me now I sometimes will be running errands and find I have left it on. I also use betweens. When I bend one I put it in a special holder to use for basting or binding. The curve seems to help.