Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you hand quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-hand-quilt-t40777.html)

MaryAlice 03-27-2010 05:36 AM

I really enjoy hand quilting. I use a large Grace floor frame, and wool batting on the peice I am doing now (I may never quilt with anything else, it is so lovely to quilt!)I thread several needles onto the spool of thread at a time, so when I need a new thread, I slide all but one of the needles up the thread, cut and go! I have tried several different thimbles, and I prefer the leather ones. I switch between one for my thumb (for sewing away from me) and one for my pointer finger (sewing towards me).

feline fanatic 03-27-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Gal
I used the nail on my thumb to push the needle through it is very strong and I had no trouble, however I was quilting away from me instead of towards myself, I realise that now since I watched a lady on Utube!
Gal

I too struggle with thimbles and do exactly what you do. I push the needle with my thumbnail or my index finger nail. So I quilt away from myself when using my thumb and towards myself when using my index. I eventually "drill" a hole through my fingernail and have to wait for it to grow out a bit again. I use #11 Roxanne betweens and hand quilting thread. It takes a long time to hand quilt for me. I am currently on my 4th handquilted bed size quilt and I have been quilting for 20+ years. I have gotten to the point where I can not sit idle in front of the boob tube. I must have some handwork. Be it a tied quilt, hand quilting or a bit of hand applique. I truly suck at applique so I don't tend to do too much of that. I did spring for some hoity-toity sterling silver thimbles that have the back cut away for the fingernail. I can use those kind of. I can't start the stitch with a thimble, even these fancy ones. So I start it with no thimble, take a stitch or two then slide the thimble on. Because I am self-taught I still have to push the needle with index or thumb and those are the two fingers I bought the thimbles for. I have mild carpal tunnel but it is from working on a computer not from sewing and so far it has not caused me much trouble when sewing other than the numbness in my fingertips.

jolo 03-27-2010 06:37 AM

I hand quilt and all the above are good tips. I use a hoop most of the time. The only time I use a large frame is when my lovely dil wants to help me. She is learning, I rock as she stabs.lol Jolo

stchn4livn 03-27-2010 06:53 AM

you might want to try the stretchy gloves with the fingers cut out of them - I can't remember what they are called. They help when my hand gets tired.

adyldrop 03-27-2010 06:55 AM

i hand quilt most times because my machine is just too small for quilting and i also get a take-along project if i have to go visit family or something. i like the look of the bigger stitches so i actually use 2 strands of embroidery floss and make a bigger stitch on the top with a smaller stitch on the back. i love the imperfect big stitch look.....probably because i can't do perfect and little :lol: !!!!

salmonsweet 03-27-2010 07:12 AM

Pushing needle through with thumbnail - me too! I hate thimbles, or maybe they hate me. :roll: :lol:

wvdek 03-27-2010 07:18 AM

Occasionally. My hands won't allow much.

patty04 03-27-2010 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I use a leather thimble and a finger cot on my thumb to pull the needle through if need be and I don't use a hoop or a frame.

How do you baste your quilt so you don't get puckers, I mean without using a hoop or a frame because that sounds like a good idea - not using a hoop or a frame

Boston1954 03-27-2010 09:28 AM

I sure do, and I love it!! I was a little scared to at first, but one day I just jumped in and started. My first stitches were about a quarter of an inch long, but I did not care. The more I did, the better my confidence became. Must do all I can before the Arthritis gets too bad.

Pamela Artman 03-27-2010 09:36 AM

I hand quilt and have since I made my first baby quilt 35 years ago! But my tops are piling up and I can't quilt fast enough, so I'm going to start machine quilting them. I bought a walking foot and quilted some table runners, place mats and tote bags, so next I'll be trying a wall hanging or throw size quilt. I love to hand quilt and my grandmother will turn over in her grave when I quilt a big quilt by machine! But I just gotta do it! (Sorry, grandma!)