Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a serger ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-serger-t33782.html)

mar32428 01-11-2010 03:25 PM

I am on my third Bernina serger. Have been using one since they first came out. I make clothes, bathing suits and am forever mending, home dec, hemming or altering clothes for family. Great for putting in zippers. I love the clean finished seams. I would sure miss mine but not everyone likes them. I don't use for quilting because it puts too much thread in the seams.

eparys 01-11-2010 03:27 PM

I am on serger #2. My first was a Huskylock purchased in 1981. When it died, I bought a Viking 936. I would not be without one. I used my primarily for clothes construction (especially for bathing suits and children's clothing) - I now use it for edges etc when I am not using it for clothes.

Cathe 01-11-2010 03:30 PM

I got my first serger in 1988, broke it and replaced it in 1993, and that one lasted until about six months ago when Mom got a new one and gave me her old one. In that time, I have used them pretty steadily. Just inexpensive ones... real workhorses. :) I've never had a fancy one.

mpspeedy 01-11-2010 03:32 PM

I am on my second serger. I do use it for making Linus quilts. I use the envelope method and serge that part. I then Machine quilt the turned envelope. I broke the looper on my first Bernina and rather than have it repaired I traded up to a easier threading machine. I use it in fits and starts but it is always plugged in to my serge protector along with the rest of my machines. Many of the newer machines come with the chain stitch. I don't see any use for that in my sewing needs. If you have ever pulled the wrong thread and had a garmet come apart that was serged it was chain stitched.

sewmuch 01-11-2010 03:39 PM

I have a MY Lock Janome, inexpensive about $125 3 years ago.
Not fancy, 4 thread, use it for many things, not piecing.....
hemming pants, pillowcases, etc. Will do several things, I just haven't learned them yet........

SherryLea 01-11-2010 04:59 PM

I got a new Baby Lock Imagine for Christmas last year and I love it. It has several different feet and can do some very nice looking things like put a ruffle on anything and I use it when I am making a quick blanket for a gift It looks nice on the edges. Mind even has the instructions on how to crochet edgeing on things. I never used a serger before this one, but have really enjoyed it.

QuiltMania 01-11-2010 05:14 PM

I bought a Husquvuarna one. Spent something like $600. Used it twice. Never did like it.

akrogirl 01-11-2010 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Debra Mc
My dealer is a Babylock dealer & I have seen all the Babylock models. Their newest is $3000.00. That nearly blew my mind. I really want a Babylock but will have think real long & hard about it. Thanks for everyone's in put.

You should be able to find a dealer willing to sell the Evolution for around $2500 - still pretty pricey though. If you can find a dealer with any left, Evolves can be had for approx. $1800 and Imagine Waves for $1250 or so.

Icandothat 01-11-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by mar32428
I am on my third Bernina serger. Have been using one since they first came out. I make clothes, bathing suits and am forever mending, home dec, hemming or altering clothes for family. Great for putting in zippers. I love the clean finished seams. I would sure miss mine but not everyone likes them. I don't use for quilting because it puts too much thread in the seams.

Would love to know how to put in a zipper with a serger.

Icandothat 01-11-2010 07:12 PM

Love my Babylock Wave.