Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Do you have a style of quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/do-you-have-style-quilting-t123298.html)

damaquilts 05-15-2011 01:32 PM

I was watching the quilt show and it hit me that the big name quilters have a "style" of quilt they make.
I don't have one. I was wondering if anyone else did and how it came about.
Kinda like Ricky Tims and his Rapsody quilts,If you see one you think Ricky Tims.
I know I am not particularly drawn to make traditional style quilts anymore.
I am all at sixes and sevens right now. I don't know what I want to do at all.

charmpacksplus 05-15-2011 01:35 PM

My style.... UFO. But they were meant to be traditional. :-D

grann of 6 05-15-2011 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
I was watching the quilt show and it hit me that the big name quilters have a "style" of quilt they make.
I don't have one. I was wondering if anyone else did and how it came about.
Kinda like Ricky Tims and his Rapsody quilts,If you see one you think Ricky Tims.
I know I am not particularly drawn to make traditional style quilts anymore.
I am all at sixes and sevens right now. I don't know what I want to do at all.

No, I have not found my "niche" yet. Right now I am into quickie quilts to give to charities, uses up my stash, gives me a chance to practice on the long arm, and fulfills my need to fill the world with love via quilts. I have lots of various ideas in my head and admire those that can have a "special style".

janRN 05-15-2011 01:58 PM

I'm mixed up, too. I've always made quilts with lots of black and batiks. Then I started the Farmers Wife Sampler Quilt and had to totally turn around my color thoughts. Now I find I'm drawn to bright florals (but still with black). No one would understand my stash-what a mixture! I guess if we did the same thing all the time we'd get bored (and also wouldn't be able to shop as much LOL)

PaperPrincess 05-15-2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
My style.... UFO. But they were meant to be traditional. :-D

lol, looks like we have the same taste!

BrendaY 05-15-2011 03:10 PM

Well... I'm heavily into Civil War era reproduction fabrics and antique doll quilts. They go perfectly with my antique doll collection, and I don't feel so bad if I make a mistake in one of my own...

I also collect antique doll furniture, and the doll beds are sooo easy to find. They look so old fashioned and sweet all made up with an old doll quilt!

amma 05-15-2011 04:50 PM

I would say mine are more contemporary than traditional :D:D:D

deedum 05-15-2011 05:17 PM

Mine are scrappies for the most part! Love scrappies, so forgiving and so fun to put together! Love tradtionals! The simplified and the scrappies! Nothing complex for me! This is my way of unwinding after a complex day!

earthwalker 05-15-2011 06:46 PM

Scrappy, retro, bizarre with the odd traditional thrown in to further confuse.

Deb watkins 05-15-2011 06:54 PM

I like the traditional blocks, with color variations. While I admire scrappy, it makes my OCD mind go bonko and my eyes get goofy....so I don't do anything in that style. I love oriental fabric (hence two swaps I hosted) though admit that I am being drawn to red, black and white. Not that I have anyplace in my house to put it....